• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Discrepancies in health information found on web sites discussing cures for inflammatory bowel disease, an "incurable" disease.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Discrepancies in health information found on web sites discussing cures for inflammatory bowel disease, an "incurable” disease:

Abstract

BACKGROUND:
Inflammatory bowel disease, which can take the form of ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease, is said by most doctors to be incurable, although surgery is sometimes considered a cure for ulcerative colitis but not Crohn's disease. Because of the unpredictable nature of the disease, however, and the devastating symptoms it can have, many people are driven to search for cures online, despite what their doctors may recommend.

METHODS:
This qualitative content analysis looked at the top search results in Google and Bing for inflammatory bowel disease cures. We examined 63 search results returned using a variety of search terms. Search results included articles, entire Web sites, YouTube videos, health forums, and an e-book.

RESULTS:
The Web sites generally fell into 2 categories: those that said no cure exists and those that advocated for specific cures. The following themes were pulled from the data: an inconsistent definition of a cure; an anti-Western medicine bias; medical disclaimers that are ignored by Web sites that feature them; a lack of clarity in cure regimens; and inter-article contradictions.

CONCLUSIONS:
Many people with inflammatory bowel disease do not like hearing that the disease has no cure or they do not believe their doctor when told this. Medical professional Web sites often say very little about what a cure looks like or how it is defined medically. Well-meaning patients have filled this void with their own definitions of a cure. Physicians need to be aware of what information patients can find online because many patients are unwilling to share this information.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24487273

JDTM

OMG LDN BBQ
Part of me thinks the fact that this article exists is totally awesome. Another part of me read the first sentence under "CONCLUSIONS" and thought, "In other unrelated scientific news, water is wet." :p

David

Co-Founder
I wish we had access to the full article. I'd love to see if Crohnsforum.com was one of the sites they perused and what category they put us in.

I can't believe they spent money on such a useless and unremarkable study.

People don't like hearing their disease is incurable? Wow, where would that be a cause for celebration?

People don't always believe their doctor when told this. Well, you have Crohn's disease. We don't have a definitive test for diagnosing it. We don't know what causes it. We don't know how it will affect you in the future. The only thing we know with absolute certainty is there is no cure.

I wonder why anyone would question that?

Tax dollars hard at work.

Dan

David:

I wasn't able to find this particular article that Dusty provided the abstract for, but I did find another 'stellar' article from one of the authors...I've got it as an attachment which I've never done before so fingers crossed that others on the forum can access it.

Anyways, the startling news in this article is: "social support is an important component of health care for people with chronic illnesses." Nooo, reeeally?? You don't say? Colour me shocked, startled...in other groundbreaking news, fire is hot. I'll prove it to you but I'm going to need two years to collect and collate the data and a lot of money. Thank you.

Kismet

David:

I wasn't able to find this particular article that Dusty provided the abstract for, but I did find another 'stellar' article from one of the authors...I've got it as an attachment which I've never done before so fingers crossed that others on the forum can access it.

Anyways, the startling news in this article is: "social support is an important component of health care for people with chronic illnesses." Nooo, reeeally?? You don't say? Colour me shocked, startled...in other groundbreaking news, fire is hot. I'll prove it to you but I'm going to need two years to collect and collate the data and a lot of money. Thank you.

Kismet
haha I was thinking the same.

I can't believe they spent money on such a useless and unremarkable study.

People don't like hearing their disease is incurable? Wow, where would that be a cause for celebration?

People don't always believe their doctor when told this. Well, you have Crohn's disease. We don't have a definitive test for diagnosing it. We don't know what causes it. We don't know how it will affect you in the future. The only thing we know with absolute certainty is there is no cure.

I wonder why anyone would question that?

Tax dollars hard at work.

Dan
The only thing they can say with absolute certainty is that they haven't found a cure, not there there isn't one. I'm pretty sure there is one, and its illegal. And the BS fed to us by the medical community, ya know all these fun/expensive studies like this one, is paid for by pharmaceutical companies. CURES DON'T GENERATE INCOME!!!! But treating the symptoms SURELY does.....the real reason people don't like being told they have crohn's and there is no cure, whether subconscious or not, is that they know the reason there isn't a cure is because the people in charge of making the medicine don't care one iota about any Crohn's patient. If they did there would be a cure.

...they know the reason there isn't a cure is because the people in charge of making the medicine don't care one iota about any Crohn's patient. If they did there would be a cure.
I blame it on the reptilians... or maybe the Bilderbergers... or the trilateral Commission and George Soros. :tongue: