• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Disease in rectum causes incontinence?

I'm embarrassed to type this but one of my major issues is incontinence from my behind, not that I leak randomly but if I pass gas I also pass bloody mucous, if I get pain I know I have to be in the bathroom asap because I can't hold it. I used to think it was due to the fact that I had diarrhea but I read over my mri results (it was done while I was on prednisone and feeling decent) it said my rectum may be affected but not super distended. Just wondering. I see the surgeon on thurs

Hi!

I am flaring now (mainly rectal) and have exactly the same issue. Most of my rapid trips to the toilet are simply to avoid the problem of the untrustworthy fart!! Like you, it is usually accompanied by mucous (meaning noisy farts, too!!). I make sure the radio is on outside the toilet!

I am waiting to get hold of new meds being ordered by the pharmacy, and in the meantime I will have to go back on suppositories to quash the inflammation - oh joy!!

I just have to try to have a decent sense of humour otherwise I would cry - it's such an unglamorous disease.

I have had a stricture in the rectum probably for decades, and it can absolutely cause the symptoms you are referring to. With time, you can actually differentiate between gas pressure and stool. That being said, if the inflammation is current, I think that it can trick us into thinking we need to void. I believe that the pressure of inflammation causes our body to believe there is something in the rectum when there may not be, and this may cause some straining and aggravation of the problem. Short term - line your underwear!

Never trust a fart--IBD 101. Hahaha! Disease in the rectum often means super urgent trips to the toilet for anything that feels like pressure just to ensure no accidents of any kind. I would wake up several times a night just to pass gas, and often there was bloody mucus at the end of passing gas. It isn't really incontinence in the classic sense of the word, but I know what you mean.

Lol yeah I learned to never trust a far the hard way. The bloody, mucousy gas is a new symptom though. It started happening after I had my daughter 9 months ago.

Lady Organic

Staff member
do you have a GI or only a surgeon? these symptoms means disease is active most likely in the rectum or very nearby. That exactly what I experience when my disease is active. Chronic inflammation brings on mucus and blood that accumulate in the rectum without stools. They want to come out anytime they have a chance either when the rectum is filled by these or when we pass a gaz.
passing a gas without trouble is pretty difficult when disease is that active.

I do have a GI. I've been seeing him a lot the past 2 years first to keep me in remission while pregnant then after I gave birth when I started flaring. I got c-diff a few months after birth and that threw everything off. I went through a round of steriods, felt great while on them, it's been about a week since coming off them and symptoms have returned :/

Oh and my GI isn't sure what else to do with me hence meeting with the surgeon (I'm allergic to remicade, can't raise the dose on the 6mp, on lialda, 6mp and humira)

Lady Organic

Staff member
is your GI considering surgery because of lack of pharmacological treatment ideas? there is methotrexate (old medication) which i have tried but failed. You cant be pregnant on methotrexate though. there are also other biologics.

have you looked into clinical trials such as fecal transplant?

I always flare back up after steroids. I finally had a Dr that tried a low does and a very slow taper finally worked. This time I have been out of remission for 4 years. I hope you feel better soon!

Lauren

What does your diet look like?

I had incontinence as a result of bad diet, mostly high fructose corn syrup, high sugar foods, and fake sugars like sucralose.