• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diseased tissue found again.

I had a colonoscopy this morning. This is my annual scope. Apparently CD has appeared again, at the surgery site. I have a small but inflamed area. Explains my narrow stools.

I am so upset about this. I had 2.5 feet of bowel removed last October. My (*&%#(*^$#% Insurance company did not consider my case severe (even after I had the surgery) and would not approve Humira. I have spent 8 months trying to get on the right med. Sulfasalazine and Asacol both failed. I filed a complaint with the state Insurance Division, which started an investigation that has not yet been resolved. I finally got approval for Humira. I started the loading doses last week. I really believe if the insurance company had got the crowbar out and opened their wallet when they should have, I probably would not have any inflamed gut right now. :voodoo::ymad::angry-banghead:

We are going to give Humira a chance and see how it is doing in a couple of months.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
That's just awful yet sadly happens ALL THE TIME. I HATE health insurance. It SHOULD be universal. I'm glad it finally got approved and hope that it works for you as some people kick the bucket because their insurance company refuses to pay. This is the LAST thing anyone needs. I really do hope it works and I hope all insurance companies die in a brutal fire.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Oh man Doug, I am so sorry to hear this...:(

I will have everything crossed that the Humira does the trick and knocks the blighter on the head. Bloody insurance companies! I really feel for you guys having to deal with them.

Thinking of you mate, :hug:
Dusty. xxxxxxxx

So sorry to hear they found more inflammation. I just had a resection and my doc's plan is to keep me off of Humira unless they find inflammation again. I'm not sure that I am comfortable with this plan.

In any case, I hope the Humira nips that bit of inflammation in the bud and keeps you in remission.

My insurance company refused to approve Humira for months until I got the insurance commissioner involved (at which point they approved it in days). She said she remembers my story because she has been hearing cases like this a lot from IBD patients. It's sad and frustrating but you have to keep in mind that medications are becoming more and more expensive. There is going to be a point where how expensive meds are and how many patients need them is going to overwhelm the system (not that I think we have reached that point).

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
I'm sorry to hear this Doug. All we can do is continue to visit the polls and vote in politicians who will support health insurance causes. The politicians ought to be good for something! Rant!!!

Ugh, so sorry to hear this, Doug; and yet, so happy I don't have to deal with American insurance companies any more.

I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you that the Humira sorts out your inflammation, and no further surgery will be required for you.

I'm sorry to hear this Doug. All we can do is continue to visit the polls and vote in politicians who will support health insurance causes. The politicians ought to be good for something! Rant!!!

I actually think the new health care law will take care of a lot of the problems.

That's just awful yet sadly happens ALL THE TIME. I HATE health insurance. It SHOULD be universal. I'm glad it finally got approved and hope that it works for you as some people kick the bucket because their insurance company refuses to pay. This is the LAST thing anyone needs. I really do hope it works and I hope all insurance companies die in a brutal fire.

AMEN! I too am glad that health care is now going to be required in the US. The people who do not want it have no idea what it is like to be sick... Like real sick, like all the time, there is no cure sick. Then those folks would change their tune in a second.

I did not always think that health insurance should be required. But I see a huge problem with insurance companies being able to play doctor. My G.I. suggested suing the insurance company for practicing medicine without a license. Unfortunately, I doubt any Utah jury would see things that way. Because of that, it would be hard to find an attorney that would take the case.

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
I actually think the new health care law will take care of a lot of the problems.
That's what I'm hoping Doug. I don't mean to step on any toes or offend anyone politically. I have family members and friends from both sides of the aisle. Oh the discussions at the family dinner table. LOL! I've recently started voting on the candidates that are for the people which includes education and health care reform. There's hope! I would like everyone to be able to receive quality health care.

Andi, your right. Health Care should be a right and not a privilege. The insurance companies can no longer deny individuals for pre-existing conditions, and that is a good start. The new law will require everybody to be covered, including plans to assist those who do not qualify for Medicare but are not in a position to afford their own insurance.

This last year has been a huge eye opener for me. I have a very good insurance plan with my employment, and I have been concerned with the new law replacing my current plan with something that is not as good. But now I have had 2 battles with insurance to get prescriptions covered. (The first was an expensive medication my wife uses.)The second was Humira. Co-workers have also complained about our insurance not covering things they use to without much problem. The premiums are increasing at alarming rates and the coverage is getting worse.

Even with the insurance we have been paying about $1,200/month in medical expenses. In the last 2 years it has managed to destroy our savings account and made it so we have had to go to a debt planning company to avoid dipping into our 401(K) plan and/or filing bankruptcy. We are trying to negotiate new terms to paying off our credit card debt, and when this process is finished, it is my plan to never use a credit card again. We could not continue the credit cards with also having to pay all the medical costs.

I can't imagine how bad things would be right now if we did not have insurance. I would just roll up and die. This country needs the new Health Insurance law. I just wish it was in effect now, and not having to wait until 2014 for the plan to take effect.

God bless the NHS! In this country people knock it, but don't know how
lucky they are. And in Scotland our prescription meds are now free.
I hope the current treatment brings you remission, Doug. Delays and the stress of worrying about paying for treatment are the last things sick people need :-(

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I did not always think that health insurance should be required. But I see a huge problem with insurance companies being able to play doctor. My G.I. suggested suing the insurance company for practicing medicine without a license. Unfortunately, I doubt any Utah jury would see things that way. Because of that, it would be hard to find an attorney that would take the case.
I really feel for you guys over there with the way your health system is. I know there a solid arguments for both sides but I would find it hard to believe that some one with a chronic illness is better off under the system that exists there now.

I believe that access to free health care is a basic right that should be extended to every citizen. Of course nothing is truly free but it is something that I have no issue with my taxes supporting.

Dusty. xxx

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
I believe that access to free health care is a basic right that should be extended to every citizen. Of course nothing is truly free but it is something that I have no issue with my taxes supporting.

Dusty. xxx
I also feel this way. Sadly, there are many people in the U.S. who seem to have an aversion to taxes, even if it is to their benefit, or in their best interest. It's just plain ignorant and greedy. Does anybody really know when either they or a loved will get seriously ill, or develop a disease?

Andi is exactly right. There are those in this country that are opposed to any taxes, no matter what it is for. I love the argument I hear about how our founding fathers were against taxes. No, they were not against taxes. They were against being taxed by a government that did not allow them any representation in it. (The colonies were not represented in the British Parliament.) That was the issue, it was not the taxes themselves, it was having no say in it.

Health care should be a right. And if England, France, Germany, Canada, Australia, etc.. can provide health care for all of their citizens, then the United States of America (biggest economy in the world) should be able to do so for its citizens.