• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Disinvited because of "contagious" abscess

nogutsnoglory

I am really pissed because a family member told me I can't come to a birthday party because I am potentially contagious. I said a crohn's perirectal abscess is not contagious! The bacteria that caused it might be but who is going to catch that unless they kiss my butt. I think this is ridiculous.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
That sucks big time ngng and yes it is ridiculous. I don't mean to diss on one of your relatives but they are an idiot. :(:(:(

Dusty. :heart:

The first thing that came to my mind is to seal the birthday card with your "contagious bacteria". Now you know I am mad for you because that is such a wrong though! But thought it might make you smile:).

I am sorry, I was told by my brother to" pull up your pants and get back to life". "you don't even look sick". Grrr

Xo
Michele

nogutsnoglory

That sucks big time ngng and yes it is ridiculous. I don't mean to diss on one of your relatives but they are an idiot. :(:(:(

Dusty. :heart:
Yeah and the relative is a doctor too! I was like its not contagious and even if it was its contained below, it's not like my arm is spewing pus out at everyone.

Dragon that would be hilarious I think they would flip.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
No way! That is even worse! Ugh!

Little wonder that so many here get so little joy from many in the medical profession. :(

Dusty. xxx

I was told once when my relatives knew I had crohns many years ago,that it was probably not washing my hands when I went to the toilet,I was horrified!!!!I also found out that when I had been to there home they scrubbed the toilet and wiped all the door handles after I had left,imagine how that made me feel.Some people just have not got a bloody clue,so I know how you feel.anyhow after that,I would never want to be in there company again.Could do without clueless people.Good Luck x

nogutsnoglory

One of my relatives felt bad and came to visit me today. He said its ok like this but the baby was an issue. I understand they are scared for the babies weak immune system but if something isn't contagious don't be scared. I even sarcastically joked that an airborne particle might get on him and he was at risk for visiting me. It was still nice to have the company for a change.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
What a load of codswallop ngng! The baby...sheesh...what a convenient excuse. :(:(:(

My heart goes out to you that you have to deal with family with those sort of attitudes. :ghug: But glad you are happy with the visit you received. :)

Thinking of you! :heart:

Dusty. xxx

Crohn's Mom

Ughhh NGNG !
I'm glad someone at least came to see you, but wow this makes me so mad for you!
Just goes to show you what ignorance can do :(

nogutsnoglory

Thanks guys it was frustrating but I know new parents can be a little crazy. It's just insane when one of them is a doctor who believes an IBD abscess is contagious lol. I can't blame them but it is stupid.

Ok, that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard! How dare someone prohibit you from going to a party because you have an abscess! Jeesh, it's not like it's the flu! Seriously, who would even think that an abscess is contagious? I have a one-year-old niece that has been around me, and she hasn't "caught" my abscess. That is wrong on so many levels, and completely offensive to anyone who has IBD. That really sucks NGNG. I'm sorry your family member was so rude to you; family can be a challenge to deal with....

annawato

Staff member
Yep. I am absolutely mad as hell too. Cannot believe that in this day and age anyone, let alone a doctor could have this attitude. Grrrr.

One of my relatives felt bad and came to visit me today. He said its ok like this but the baby was an issue. I understand they are scared for the babies weak immune system but if something isn't contagious don't be scared. I even sarcastically joked that an airborne particle might get on him and he was at risk for visiting me. It was still nice to have the company for a change.
Ummm, wouldn't you be in more danger from the baby with all the immunosuppressants we take???:ybatty:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Seriously! That's what I was thinking Crohn's gal since 1989. ;)

Is it a family tradition to grab everyone's naked butt as they arrive through the door and wipe it on the new born babies face? Even if it were they could put tradition aside and not be stupid (and gross cause that's a disgusting tradition).

This is what voodoo dolls are meant for. :voodoo: Be sure to stab its butt. :voodoo: A lot. :voodoo:

nogutsnoglory

You are right the funny thing is the kids would probably put me at higher risk with their germs. Ah whatever its over and hopefully it goes away soon so they can't ban me from family functions.