• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Distended Abdomen

I've had Crohn's for several years, but am totally asymptomatic. The only means of detecting the status of the disease is by colonoscopy. Currently I'm on Entyvio infusions every 8 weeks. Gradually my belly has become very distended...it was not like this last fall & winter. It is NOT fat; I'm not at all overweight, but by the end of the day, I look like I'm 7 or 8 months pregnant. I've had a CAT scan to rule out any mass or ovarian cancer. The findings were consistent with colonoscopy results: stricture at distal end of ileum. The only difference was "dilation of loop of bowel." Could this be the reason? What can I do to get rid of the bloat?
HELP!!

For me, bloating was related to my strictures and partial blockages. Went away after I had a resection last year. I am not sure, but I think the dilation could be related to partial blockages.

Do you feel full quickly? Any cramping/pain? Blockage pain is a different kind of pain - it kind of goes in waves. Almost feels like labour contractions.

You could try a low FODMAP diet to see if that improves the bloating, and/or avoid eating things that might get stuck in your strictures (nuts, seeds, popcorn, etc)

Bufford

It would appear to be caused by flaring. I had a huge belly while flaring and I could float in the lake or pool without having to swim. Treatments failed me. I started taking tumeric and now my bloated belly is gone, and I have pulled in my belt several inches and feel much better overall.

Bufford

Dyana; Here is what I did. After last year's awful experiment with Remicade I came to the realization that I needed to try going the natural route.

I read up on Tumeric about its healing qualities and bought a bag of powdered Tumeric back in Febuary when I was flaring, and my belly was bloated like a balloon and had been doing so for a few years. I could literally float in a lake or pool without having to swim, it was like built in flotation in my gut. I was unsinkable.
Here is what I do;
Halfway between breakfast and lunch I mix a teaspoon of Tumeric into a glass of cold water and down it, then fill the glass to drink down the last remaining left over Tumeric with some water.
Then avoid food or solids for another hour to allow absorption.

The reason I do this is because I read that Tumeric should be taken on an empty stomach in the mornings. An empty stomach allows better absorption. Don't take Tumeric later on in the day as it may affect night time sleep.

I noticed an improvement with in one week of starting this therapy. I prefer buying my Tumeric in powdered form from the seasoning section of the supermarket. Its very cheap when compared to the capsules, and powdered form is better distributed throughout the GI tract rather than in pill form.

Six months later, I no longer flare like I used to, and my bloated gut is gone, I can pull in my belt, and now I have to swim to stay a float. its like having a good treatment without the nasty side effects. A miracle for me.

cmack

Staff member
I take mine with a thin, (half thickness) American half dollar diameter, size piece of ginger and a good size pinch of freshly ground black pepper blended in a smoothie. I also do this in the mornings. I take about a teaspoon of Turmeric just like Bufford does. There seems to be conflicting info on whether or not to take it alone or the way I'm doing it (to be fair I haven't tried it by itself). I do it that way because my GP said it is much better absorbed in the presence of freshly ground black pepper and ginger root. It has been helping my gut to calm as well as with aches and pains. I think you could probably try it either way. Maybe if one way doesn't help try the other, Bufford's way is easier and it seems to help, in fact I may try it that way too, just to see.

Bufford

Ginger has been claimed to be able to improve the efficiency of the Turmeric. I have been trying ginger, but it seems to interfere with my blood pressure too much. Both Turmeric and ginger are known for reducing blood pressure. I am on Amlodopine and have to watch my blood pressure as Turmeric has been bringing it down further as time goes on since I started taking it in Feb. I will speak to my doctor about it when I see her later this month.

cmack

Staff member
Some of the natural remedies can be quite potent. I guess that's why they say to tell your doctor about ALL medications, natural remedies or otherwise. It makes good sense to me for you to talk with your doctor about the turmeric/ginger Bufford. I would be quite interested to find out what the doctor says.