• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Do I need 2nd Option

Hi All,
My son 12 years old recently diagnose for Crohn. He do have stomach ache and he will go to toilet just after his meal. After several visit to hospital and with some test, initially Dr diagnose it as IBS. His small intestine having minor wound. He give Prisidone, 35mg for a month. He stop that to see the reaction. Then my son don't have stomach pain, he eat quiet well and put on weight. After few weeks he got headache and last for 2 weeks. Now no headache but his ankle and Knee pain and swollen.
Dr did few more test and conclude it as IBD (Crohn). There is no family history for Crohn in family.

My question is, should I go for 2nd option to check if it is really Crohn?
Thanks.

cmack

Staff member
Hi Nedupala,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear of your sons trouble. Maybe inflammation is causing this.

I think another opinion would be good, it never hurts to check twice.

welcome again, feel free to pm me if you need support.

All the best,

cmack

Hi. It wouldn't hurt for a second opinion. You also might want to look at the section in here called Parents of Kids with IBD.

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds is 13
He was dx with Crohns at 7
No family history
Crohns can wax and wane on its own
Most kids have extra intestinal manifestations
Such as joint pain and arthritis
Tagging Maya142

What meds is he currently on ?

Maya142

Staff member
It might help to get a second opinion. What tests were done to diagnose the Crohn's?

Crohn's can cause joint pain and even arthritis. It can affect either the peripheral joints (joints other than the spine - often the knees, ankles, heels etc.) or axial joints (spine, SI joints) or both. Depending on the type of arthritis, it could flare independently of the Crohn's (usually this is the case if the spine is involved) or when the Crohn's flares (peripheral arthritis).

Prednisone should help both his gut and his joints, but it's not a long-term medication. Methotrexate or biologics are used to treat both arthritis and Crohn's.

Is he seeing a pediatric rheumatologist? I'd try and find one, if possible.

My Little Penguin and Maya 142,
Thanks a lot for the valuable feedback. Currently he is taking Prednisone.
He put on weight. Dr did colonoscopy and endoscope with some blood test to conclude it is Crohn. In Malaysia this is very rare case. We've check his blood for RA and it is negative.
I will discuss with the DR on this on our next visit.
This is new to me and I don't how to express. I'm try to find all kind of possibilities to make it better for him. Thanks a lot. Appreciate support from all of you.