• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Do I need a convex wafer?

Hello!!! I need some advice. I have only had my stoma for about 9 weeks.

I notice that she sinks in and pops back out whenever she wants. When she sinks down she sinks below the wafer and its causing tons of leaks. Also when she pops out sometimes she just hangs and the opening points straight down.

Do you think I need a convex wafer? She sinks down quite a bit and its very frustrating.

Thanks a bunch!

Terriernut

These damn stomas DO have a mind of their own don't they! I think yes, you should give a convex wafer a try. It should work as a push up bra, just what your stoma needs!

(A 'western bra....designed to "hitch em up...and move em out", yes...just the ticket!)

They DEFINITELY have a mind of their own!!!

I was just looking at a bunch of your posts! Because of you I have ordered samples from coloplast. I get a lot of creases in the other tapes and they just don't conform to my body at all.
I can't wait to try the coloplast ones!!!

Thanks for your reply, I kind of figured that's what I needed I just wanted a second opinion. :thumright:

Damn stomas never behave when you really need them to!!!

Terriernut

I like my coloplast...but I STILL get problems with it. I think we ostomates should invent some more products for all our issues.

No kidding, I agree. If we all put our heads together we could create the most useful hybrid appliance from all of the ones out there now.

Hi JennaRae

My stoma behaves exactly as yours does, although mine never comes out far enough to hang down. I use the Coloplast Alterna deep convexity but you should try the normal convexity first. Just ring Coloplast and ask for some samples of their convex bags (is that the way you do it over there?).

I must admit appliance adapting could possibly become an event in the 'crowns Olympics'

On another note we get so good at fixing leaks and improvising we would all make great plumbers.

Susan 2 thank you! I didn't even know they had the deep ones, that's good to know!
I ordered some samples yesterday I hope I get them soon.

Jaano I agree lol!

Hope it worked out well for you? I use the convexity, my stoma sorta of wiggles in and out, but always sits below the baseplate - though the convexity should push it out - it don't.

I had the same issues shortly after my surgery. I went convex and haven't looked back. The convexity has helped a ton and now my stoma doesn't seem to move very much. It just stays in approximately the same place unless its working to push then it coils back a bit but not enough to push the appliance up. Good luck