• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Do painkillers actually relieve Crohn's related symptoms?

Recently I've been having extremely bad pains all over my abdomen and it's so bad that I curl up in a ball and try my best to breath through it. I started Azathioprine (100mg) 2 weeks ago and I haven't really seen any improvements. My main issue is that I have a 2 and a half hour exam tomorrow morning and I can't be distracted by my pains so I wanted to know if having paracetamol or something like that has helped anyone relieve their pains temporarily??

Hi there,

Unfortunately azathioprine takes around 12 weeks to start working. I was very ill during my exams at uni one year and had to miss a couple and sit them later in the year - is that an option for you at all?

A friend of mine with MS is having really encouraging results with a CBD oil which I'm pondering trying. I'm doing a lot of research into it before I commit though.

Is there any way you could get in touch with your GP for an emergency prescription of strong painkillers to get you through?

I hope things improve soon x

Sadly taking the exam later is not an option for me cuz I'm still doing my GCSEs and I doubt I'd be able to get a prescription at this time. I guess I'll just have to get lucky tomorrow.

Thanks for the help I think I'll make an appointment with my doctor just in case.

Definitely try paracetamol, or paracetamol with codeine which is available over the counter. Soluble is best in my experience but with a bit of fruit squash to take the edge off the nasty taste!

Best of luck, hopefully you will be able to speak to a doctor before the exam. Let us know how it goes!