• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Do these symptoms sound like small bowel Crohn's? Blood?!

I'm seeing gastroentologists, and fingers crossed will have an answer soon. However, I'm freaking out due to a recent progression of symptoms. I would really appreciate getting your thoughts. I know you aren't doctors yadda yadda, I would just feel better knowing what other patients think whilst waiting for the professional reply.

Tests:
Coeliac test (tTG) - normal - may have also been tested from the bloods for inflammation markers, I'm unsure of that. If I was, that was also normal.
Calprotectin - positive (398)
Colonoscopy - normal for colon. They were unable to enter the terminal ileum, even after buscopan. Colonoscopy guy suggested that small bowel could be too inflamed for entry.
Colonoscopy biopsies - "subtle changes"

Waiting on MRI results. I am concerned whether it even worked, because the fluid went in one end and out the other! Hopefully, these will find the issue.

Pre 'flare'(?) symptoms:
  • Minor diarrhoea for about a decade (am now 22), which had periods of a few years each that it was worse or better.
  • Age 16 I had my first pooping-myself issue - immodium would only give me half an hour leeway, so I didn't always reach a toilet in time the next few years.
  • Occasionally a small amount of mucus.
  • For quite some time (maybe a year or two?) almost all BMs have been non-solid.

'Flare'(?) symptoms since March 2014:
  • BMs (from mushy to basically pissing out my butt) multiple times a day, sometimes ~10 but usually 2-8. Usually occurs within an hour after eating (for this reason, I recently banned eating when outside). Contains undigested food (small bits in it, or coloured what I have eaten).
  • Several occasions of incontinence (where I've pooped myself without even realising I've pooed).
  • Stringy mucus strands within stools (in the rare occasion I have a solid stool and can see this).
  • Pure mucus (usually clear, can also be pink) in excessive quantities (can be as much as you'd expect in a bowel movement, but just mucus).
  • After eating, can be painful to walk. The pain is always on lower abdomen if it occurs but can be on either side or by the naval.
  • Fatigue. This is in general, but particularly after a BM.
  • Discomfort during BMs. Combined with fatigue, feel like hell after a BM (very rarely I get a normal poo, and the contrast where it doesn't make me feel like hell is striking).
  • May have been a coincidence, but possibly rare nausea is related.

Recently:
Saturday I had a BM that ended a bit orangey. For the next few hours I was repeatedly 'pooping' out a mucus-blood mix. I know this is incredibly TMI, but I would be grateful if someone could take a look at a picture of the produce (linked here) and tell me whether it looks like the outcome of inflammation, or something else like hemorroids.

Sunday I had pain after eating - was generalised across my lower section, from one side, the naval to the other side (and extending right across). It was fine so long as I laid flat, but I couldn't walk, stand, or sit up.

Monday and Tuesday I had no symptoms and no BM's. Now (Wednesday) I have finally had a BM, and it was completely normal. Note that I do not suffer from constipation - lack of BMs and normal BMs are incredibly rare.

So...
IBD, IBS with gas pains and hemorroids and a false-positive calprotectin test, or something else? If you were betting money, what would you expect the cause(s) to be?
Thank you anyone who reads/replies :poop:

Hopefully you'll have results soon!! So sorry your having a rough time, you have a lot going on.

Good luck!