• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Do they need to know?

dave13

Forum Monitor
I have a co-worker who works out at a local gym.The price is inexpensive for our area and she gives good feedback about the place.I am going to check them out and join if I like the facility and there attitude.

Do they need to know I have crohn's? I can't see why it would matter.I have had two surgeries since November,they don't need to know what the surgeries were for.I just want to get stronger and feel better.

Would like to know what others think...thanks

If you're going to get going with a personal trainer, definitively tell them. They need to have an idea of your medical history when they're setting expectations and planning workouts for you.

dave13

Forum Monitor
If you're going to get going with a personal trainer, definitively tell them. They need to have an idea of your medical history when they're setting expectations and planning workouts for you.
I would like to work with a trainer to plan workouts.I'll let them know.Thanks

If you signed paperwork stating you have no previous medical illness and you have Crohns it is fraud.

I always put it on the forms and no one has EVER asked about it or said anything about it.

dave13

Forum Monitor
If you signed paperwork stating you have no previous medical illness and you have Crohns it is fraud.

I always put it on the forms and no one has EVER asked about it or said anything about it.
I am going to check the place out tomorrow.I wont lie about having crohn's.We are normal people.

nogutsnoglory

Why is it any business for a gym to know that? Heart problems I understand but most health issues are none of their business.

dave13

Forum Monitor
Why is it any business for a gym to know that? Heart problems I understand but most health issues are none of their business.
I agree.I am in remission and have been cleared by my surgeon,pcp and GI to increase my physical activity.I talked specifically about working out at a gym with each one of them.The consensus was as long as I take it easy there should be no problem.I feel this is a tool to help me stay in remission.No matter what a persons opinion is on diet/exercise pertaining to fighting crohn's you can't deny the psychological benefit of feeling good.Feel good,less stress,healthier and happier.

anyway...even though I feel it is none of there business,I really have no problem telling them.I'll let them know my Dr's are o.k. with it.

dave13

Forum Monitor
I will def tell them about my surgeries.I suppose this kinda makes my original question a mute point.I suppose you don't have to,but when talking about surgeries it usually comes up what the surgery was for.

I know I'd tell them. No use for me in getting that relationship off to a weird start being vague about my medical issues.

It's part of the job of a personal trainer, to push their clients to work harder than they are inclined to. Therefore you absolutely MUST explain about your medical history.

dave13

Forum Monitor
I checked out the gym this afternoon.You get an orientation but no personal trainers.It's well equipped and has a hot tub and pool.There is another place that is equally equipped but has no pool or hot tub.It is also less expensive.They do have personal trainers available.I would like to work with a trainer to at least set up a program to start with.
The place that offers personal trainers is also less than a mile from where I work.I will bring my gym stuff with me to work tomorrow and go over after I get out.Should be interesting.
Just thought I'd share the up-date.

dave13

Forum Monitor
I agree Hugh and Kel.Bacteria soup and nostril stinging chlorine.Pick your poison.I know my open surgeries have healed up,but thinking of getting into a public pool does not appeal to me.I'm gonna go to the place with the personal trainers.You can print out a voucher from their web site for a free week.

I work a short day today and the gym is just down the road.I'm running out of excuses:eek:

Is the pool chlorine for sure? A lot of places are switching over. As far as bacteria go, pool followed by shower yes. Hot tub, ew.