• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Do you bring food

I was wondering if a y members follow a strict diet and bring there own food

Like i was doing paleo and had to take my mum for eye surgery i gor hungry and went down to the caffe and there weren't much paleo options and bought a sandwich and something else

Once i wad in a country town trying to stick with paleo as well and ended up buying a pizza but i think there was other options there as well i dunno sometimes i feel like my brain just doesn't work and or i try and sabotage myself i know realize my crohns is severe and i should of looked after myself way better. But honestly sometimes its like my brain switched of either from wanting to be normal again or maybe it is self sabotage

Ozboz, after being on a medical formula and then a total elimination diet, I know that my diet keeps me healthy; so I am highly motivated to stick to it. So yes I travel with food all the time. If I will be away from home during meal times, I know that I have to plan to provide my own meals. I have learned to bring a cooler of food and I will heat it in a microwave wherever I can find one. I always have a food bar that I can eat with me and I have found several 'to-go' foods like a canned tuna that has veggies and rice in it so it is a complete meal that I can grab in a pinch. Family and friends know that I will bring my own food with me and it has become a non-issue. I still visit restaurants with others and if there is nothing there for me to eat, I pull out my own food. I order a drink when eating out by myself. If approached, I just tell the staff I cannot eat anything on their menu because I have food allergies, but that I am grateful that I could order a beverage that I can drink.

Good luck with your own journey to wellness.

I pack. Family and friends have just learned to accept this. I'm not getting sick just to be polite. At restaurants I can usually find grilled chicken breast. If not I either don't go, pack, or didn't eat.

see I'm very weak in this respect at the start of my crohn's journey I would design diets for myself that helped then I would give up on them then start again loved going to restraunts and eating whatever cause I love food then would get sick again or just eat wheat and stuff I wasn't supposed to then go back on a diet or maybe diets failed me
I was doing MMJ for ages and would wake in the middle of the night and eat crap and drink crap cause I live with my parents my dad would keep his treats and soft drink around so I would dip into that for some reason i knew diet helped on the other I would always fall into my old patterns.

I did this last year I was doing good at the start then half way something clicked and I said to everyone i;m eating everything I honestly dunno what got into me now I'm stuffed again.

It has been like that my entire crohn's journey.

I can relate to this soooo much. It's like when I'm eating sometimes, especially if I'm out with friends or something, I just go into this mode of like 'oh it'll be fine' and eat things I really shouldn't or just overeat and then when I am in the bathroom suffering I regret it. I think it's just me wanting to feel normal and not think about the disease all the time. But really if I take care of myself by eating good foods, I will ACTUALLY feel more normal because I will be less sick. Pretty backwards, haha.

I pack lunch for work, but that's about it. When I'm out and being good I try to look for soup or like grilled chicken or turkey sandwiches as safe foods.

You're not alone in being weakwilled sometimes and eating things you know you shouldn't. I did it today, I'd had an awful few days, massive hassle with builders and then a tooth breaking off and a visit to the dentist, with several more to follow and I just felt I deserved it. I didn't really enjoy it for worrying about the possible consequences! In answer to your question, though, I take crackers and low fat cheese with me when I'm going to a family party, for example, and maybe a small rice pudding as a treat. It's more difficult eating out, of course, as they wouldn't want you to take your own food, and so unfortunately I've had to give up on restaurants entirely. People stop inviting you in the end, which is sad but inevitable. The only places I can eat out are daytime cafes that serve egg on toast or plain baked potatoes.

I dont take food with me as i just cant eat lactose foods or fruit and veg, which i normally can find a few limited options. But i do eat before i go out to peoples. Up until last year i did just eat what was on offer with family or friends as i didnt want to make a fuss. But then i got on a load of medication which i dont want to be for nothing. My in laws dont really understand much but there used to me not eating now. And they now stop ordering pizza as there go to takeaway. Its hard as theres 13 of us at there gatherings, and i do feel awkward.

I pack lunch daily. And I just don't really eat out much at all. If I do, I try to find the least troublesome item on the menu and eat light. I also will try to look at menu and plan ahead if I know where we are going. When we travel is the hardest... I try to stay places that have a full kitchen and just prepare most of our meals. But that isn't much fun, and my husband (and I) just enjoy the occasional meal out.

Last edited:
Yeah my biggest weakness is eating out or "being normal" i declared a few times over the years that restraints aren't for me but always went anyway