• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Do you get numb to the big D?

After such a long time (years and years) of tummy problems and the big d to varying degrees most the time. Do you get numb to it so having a solid tummy movement is a novelty? I think that my thought on what constitutes a bad tummy is probably very different to a non Crohn's person. Is that wrong or are others like that?

I can't remember what it feels like to have a normal bowel movement. I think you can get used to pretty much anything eventually. It's only when something reminds me of how other people's lives don't revolve around the bathroom that I'm struck by how abnormal I actually am. Really random things like going to a stay in a hotel and realising I'll have to pack extra loo paper because a hotel won't provide enough because they cater to "normal" people. Or when someone has an upset stomach and decides not to eat until they feel better. If I did that I'd starve to death.

So I am aware that I'm not normal, but I'm very used to being that way as well.

It's only since the surgery that I've realised that things obviously weren't normal for longer than I can remember. I didn't have major issues with D, apart from at the height of my first flare, but things are now regularly solid and perfectly formed. Hooray!

KWalker

Sashaz- being diagnosed when I was just two years old I don't think I've ever had a "perfect" poop. I've gotten so used to the D that I don't even acknowledge it, but I hope it doesn't hurt too bad if the day comes where I do have a normal BM

I'm defiantly not numb to it. I have had D for years but not to the degree I have since July. It hurts and I know it's not normal. It's painful!

After such a long time (years and years) of tummy problems and the big d to varying degrees most the time. Do you get numb to it so having a solid tummy movement is a novelty? I think that my thought on what constitutes a bad tummy is probably very different to a non Crohn's person. Is that wrong or are others like that?
I haven't had a normal tummy movement for a loooong old time now! When I do I am literally SO happy that I come out of the bathroom with the biggest smile on my face lol

And yes I do think what I feel is a 'bad tummy' is very, very different to what non crohnies think of one as xxx

I have tried DMSO for about a month and a half and it was working great. I read a suggestion on this forum from a while back.

For a month and a half I still had blood and black liquid-y mess that isn't blood that tends to be persistant, but my BM's were PERFECT. And when I say perfect I mean clean re-usable toilet paper perfet. I went almost a month and a half and didn't wipe anything (well except for some blood that got on there sometimes) and it was amazing. This weekend they have reverted to normal all of a sudden and I'm in the throws (sp?) of depression. It's amazing how my BM's can affect my mood. Amazing and sad.

Its not just the BM and things. For me going to the hospital is so normal that when I tell people about it its like "oh.. Sanni was in the hospital again". My friends don't have the "OMG are you ok" thing anymore. I noticed this since a new friend I have had the OMG reaction and I thought it was funny. But she made a good (and sad) point.. no one should be that used to going to the ER that its no big deal anymore. The only reason I even told these friends was that I had to cancel pre eranged meetings. Othervice I would have not said anything to them.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I am definitely becoming more used to the D, the frequency doesn't scare me as much anymore, but I don't believe I am "numb" to it. Not sure if it is even possible for me to become numb to it. I have a somewhat low tolerance for pain more often than not so I just hope they are not too painful when they do happen.

And I also get super excited for normal days on my porcelain throne! lol.