• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Do you have a lot pain after a bowel blockage?

Hi all, I've just come out of hospital after a small bowel blockage which I managed to clear without surgery. The surgeon said it was probably from adhesions from previous surgery putting a kink in my bowel.
Anyway, I'm home now but I'm so fricken sore internally everywhere. I did throw up a whole heap for 30 hours which I know would have made my muscles sore but I didn't realise my stomach and bowel would be so tender. Does anyone else get this or had this and if so how long does it take for the pain to go away?

Hi all, I've just come out of hospital after a small bowel blockage which I managed to clear without surgery. The surgeon said it was probably from adhesions from previous surgery putting a kink in my bowel.

Anyway, I'm home now but I'm so fricken sore internally everywhere. I did throw up a whole heap for 30 hours which I know would have made my muscles sore but I didn't realise my stomach and bowel would be so tender. Does anyone else get this or had this and if so how long does it take for the pain to go away?
Remember you only was able to clear the food blockage the adhesions and scar tissue are still there.
I just had surgery to remove scar tissue that was blocking me off. I was in there about 10 months ago for the same thing but I was able to pass it then.
I am not trying to make you worry but in my case it keeps growing and needs removed eventually.

Hopefully you will be able to avoid surgery but it sounds like if your still having pain then it is still cutting things off some

When I have a blockage it usually includes abdominal cramps. These cramps tear the abdominal muscles, and that is the pain that I feel after the blockage has cleared. So for 3-4 days I will eat a high protein diet to heal the muscles - same technique I learned when doing free weights. The diet is also bland to calm down the cramps. The pain gradually goes away over a few days.