• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Do you just wake up one day with IBS?

I am a nurse and work in a skilled nursing facility. One day, I woke up with Flu like symptoms, developed diarrhea and vomitting, and have been using Cipro and Flagyl for 3 months, when I finally tested positive for C-diff (on the 3rd lab study). No other absolute diagnosis, only possibility of Ulcerative colitis. But wouldn't I have some kind of clue something was wrong before that one fateful morning?

(Now I am on Flagyl, only, and am living almost normally- just nothing is quite solid.)

I am sorry for all the trouble you are having. I know with me I had already been diagnosed with Crohns Disease. Two years later, I came down with the flu. It brought on a flare with the Crohns Disease. I hope you get some definite diagnosis soon.

Presumably you're asking about IBD rather than IBS? I definitely didn't suddenly wake up with IBD - my occasional bouts of diarrhoea got more frequent and long-lasting, occasional incontinence gradually became more common too, etc, and then I sought help when blood started appearing in my stools, but it wasn't out of the blue. I don't know whether it's possible to suddenly get IBD, though.

Gradual onset for me too, over about two months I lost my appetite/diarrhoea. Third month was more significant problems eating, nausea, abdominal pain and blood, which is when I went to the doctors.

I have another family member with IBD and didn't think anything was wrong till the blood.

Thanks for your input folks. Would you believe.. I value this as much as a doctors opinion!
Very wise - my GI consultant has told me a load of garbage so often and I've gained a much clearer understanding of my illness from reading this forum and asking questions here.

I suspect for my type of colitis I was born with it. As a child I can remember experiencing a good number of upset stomachs. When I was 15 the problem became more serious, to that point that i began seeing doctors for stomach issues. They didn't know what was going on.

When I was either 18 or 19 I began to become ill to the stomach everyday. I still remember the day when that happened. I was just sick one morning, ache to the stomach, and as the months went on the problem became worse and worse.

Very wise - my GI consultant has told me a load of garbage so often and I've gained a much clearer understanding of my illness from reading this forum and asking questions here.
Lizzie, i am new to this forum and dont want to speak out of turn etc. but i would love to hear more about your experience- being told 'garbage' by your dr?!

I didn't have GI symptoms other than a string cramp once or twice a day. Looking back, I was extremely fatigued and run down for a long time before serious onset.