• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Do you think its Crohn's?

HI Everyone! I would like to introduce myself. I am 25 years old and I'm from Atlanta GA. I served 4 years in the Army and currently a full time college student.

My story....
On June 3 of last month I was experiencing severe pain in my lower right quadrant of my abdomen. I did not feel well at all and decided to go to the Atlanta VA medical center. I had a fever of 101 and elevated blood pressure. I was immediately given a CAT scan to show what was going on. They admitted me for 6 days because of "significant inflammation and ulceration of the ileum". This showed up on both the CAT scan and a colonoscopy. I was given Morphine every 3 hrs and at least 10 bags of antibiotics while I was admitted. My diagnosis was either Crohn's or an infection. Well 2 weeks later I went to see a outpatient GI doc for the first time. I was told it was 95% certain it was Crohn's and was given 40MG of predisone a day for the first two weeks and hydrocodone 4 times a day.
Well...Today I went back to the VA (not the same doc) for another Gastro appt. He told me it may be Crohn's since I have a history of Abscesses and mucus in my stool, but he "thinks" it was just and infection.
I'm lost right now. Still lots of pain at times, extreme fatigue, and severe insomia from the predisone. I have missed 2 weeks of work in the past month.
Advice would benefit me greatly! Thanks!!

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Welcome Mike! Are you still on pred and if so is it helping? What did the second GI base his "just an infection" opinion on? Were any bloods drawn? other testing? I hope he's right, but you need firm answers!!

Thank you for your service and good luck!!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Mike and welcome! Abscesses and mucus in the stool are symptoms of Crohn's. So, with this and the inflammation and ulcerations in the TI, it certainly sounds like Crohn's could be the culprit. As Mark said, I would not let this possibility be dismissed. You may need to seek a second opinion to get some more insight on your case. I know that will demand more time and leave from work, but you need answers. Because if it is Crohn’s, you need proper treatment to prevent it from progressing.

Honestly it sounds like crohns. You have a hystory of absesses and mucous and you have severe inflammation in the ilium. The only way to really rule out infection though is by a stool culture which they should have done the first night or morning you were there. It's also possible that you could have had an infection on top of crohns...

Astra

Hiya Mike
and welcome

I'm with the others, only cos I ended up in hospital with my TI infected and was lucky. Apparantly, I was hours from death, peritonitis had set in and metronidazole and pred saved my life and I avoided surgery. I bet you had metronidazole (flagyl) too?
If you're responding to the pred then there's a good chance it's Crohn's, so keep Scooby Dooing and investigate it further!
good luck
Joan xxx

Thanks for all the help everyone! I'm trying to obtain medical records from my Barium swallow while I was in the Army. That test was conclusive for "narrowing of the intestines near the TI", but navigating the government to do anything is a joke. If I could only afford a private doctor. :(. I'm tapering off the prednasone 5MG per week right now.
Thanks again everyone!

Hiya Mike
and welcome

I'm with the others, only cos I ended up in hospital with my TI infected and was lucky. Apparantly, I was hours from death, peritonitis had set in and metronidazole and pred saved my life and I avoided surgery. I bet you had metronidazole (flagyl) too?
If you're responding to the pred then there's a good chance it's Crohn's, so keep Scooby Dooing and investigate it further!
good luck
Joan xxx
Yes! I had at least 5-7 bags of Metronidazole!

I forgot to add....I lost 16lbs in 2 weeks also.

Welcome Mike! Are you still on pred and if so is it helping? What did the second GI base his "just an infection" opinion on? Were any bloods drawn? other testing? I hope he's right, but you need firm answers!!

Thank you for your service and good luck!!
I am improving on the Pred these last 2 days. I am scheduled for more blood work tomorrow and an MRI.

The biopsy during my last colonscopy showed nothing. Is this possible with Crohns?

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Let us know what you find out Mike!! Unfortunately, it seems negative tests are all too common with many of the sufferers on here, so yes to your question!

Let us know what you find out Mike!! Unfortunately, it seems negative tests are all too common with many of the sufferers on here, so yes to your question!
I will def keep everyone updated! "Not knowing" is the worst part of all of this so far!

No, some people with Crohn's have great bloodwork, everything within normal range, but still have lots of stuff going on inside. Biopsy's can also be a little tricky, my son's biopsy's came back inconclusive for Crohn's, but his bloodwork has always been a good indicator, (raised CRP and platelet count).
It does sound like you have some form of IBD with the inflammation, mucous, fever, abscesses, unfortunately these sound all too familiar to most of us on this forum.
Press on for more answers, get copies of your bloodwork - I'm not sure how it works in the states but in Canada we can register for an E-health program and access all bloodwork taken (for patients over 16). This has been great because I'm able to see all of Mitch's bloodwork, usually before his Dr has been contacted with the results. If you check out the wiki forum Dustykat has done a great job explaining all the different bloodwork, what each test measures and normal ranges.

Are you having an MRI to check the abscesses, or is it to check for disease activity in the small intestine?