• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Doctor has me on very restricted diet

I saw my gastroenterologist again last week, and he added more foods to my do not eat list. This is where I'm at now: no red meat, no corn, soy, eggs. No dairy except two cups of yogurt a day. (are you kidding me!) One cup of coffee a day, no alcohol, no cold drinks. No raw veggies. And no sugary foods. I'm currently in remission and don't have any major issues with food, except for my allergies, I'm allergic to seafood for one thing. So that doesn't leave me with very much to eat. My weight is in the upper end of normal, I could stand to lose 20 lbs but don't like being that thin. Anyone else being restricted like this? I don't know what to eat now. And I have a sweet tooth. :runaway:

While reading this I was wondering what on Earth you must be eating! That sounds really inconvenient to stick to and very restrictive but I’m glad it seems to be helping you. There’s a couple of things on that list that do me no good whatsoever.

Does your doctor plan to reintroduce any of these foods at some point?

cmack

Staff member
I saw my gastroenterologist again last week, and he added more foods to my do not eat list. This is where I'm at now: no red meat, no corn, soy, eggs. No dairy except two cups of yogurt a day. (are you kidding me!) One cup of coffee a day, no alcohol, no cold drinks. No raw veggies. And no sugary foods. I'm currently in remission and don't have any major issues with food, except for my allergies, I'm allergic to seafood for one thing. So that doesn't leave me with very much to eat. My weight is in the upper end of normal, I could stand to lose 20 lbs but don't like being that thin. Anyone else being restricted like this? I don't know what to eat now. And I have a sweet tooth. :runaway:
Hey,

I think you really just need to do what's best for you. You know your own body best and what it tolerates. If something just doesn't make sense...like this new list... it's usually not right. Just my opinion. I would want to know specifically why avoiding these things helps for sure. You have my support, that sounds very difficult. I would croak if all I ate was yogurt...

I think this is my doctor's maintenance diet. I was making a list of what I can still eat on it: starches like grains, potato, beans (which don't agree with me) rice, pasta, peanut and nut butter. Chicken, turkey. Freshwater fish which is expensive. Cooked veggies. He didn't say anything about fruit, I don't eat them raw. I used to eat lactose free dairy products, and was starting to eat salads again. For my sweet fix I used to bake stuff. It's going to get monotonous, but I think I will try it for a while. We have a doctor shortage so I can't go to anyone else.

Personally I can't tolerate corn, eggs, dairy, or ground beef so this list of "do not eats" you have actually makes some sense to me. No alcohol at all would be difficult, it can definitely mess with you, but what if you just had a small amount of good quality alcohol?

No sugary foods is a good idea too, specifically refined sugars, but can you have honey, maple syrup, or molasses? I once made oatmeal cookies sweetened with those and they turned out very yummy.

I am curious about the no cold drinks... why? I also wonder, if you are in remission and doing pretty well, maybe incorporating some raw veggies wouldn't be so bad. I find that butter lettuce is easy to digest. Throwing a bunch of stuff into a smoothie is always an easy way to get some good stuff in too.

I agree as said above, you have to do what is right for you, regardless of what your doctor says regarding your diet. Since everyone with CD is so different, you get to make the final call since you know yourself best.

I was in a flare for months, and don't want to blow it, so I'm going to be careful.
As to the cold drinks, I'm guessing that it's a shock to the system, and it would take a while for it to warm up to body temperature by absorbing heat from the intestines. Anyone have a better guess? He did say that I could have two teaspoons of honey a day. Molasses is a byproduct of sugar refining, and just as bad. Maple syrup is basically sugar and water. I googled vegan sugar free recipes, and there's actually a lot there I can try. Today I'm going to make hummus and crackers from scratch for snacks, hopefully the chickpeas won't cause any discomfort.

I googled drinking cold water, and this is what I found.
Drinking ice water or cold water hampers the process of digesting food as it causes your blood vessels to shrink. This can slow down the process of digestion and as the food is not digested properly, the nutrients are lost or not absorbed by the body.
My doctor is smart.