• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Doctor said not to go to the ER but I feel like I need to

In the past 4 hours I have had 8 very watery BMs. It came on very suddenly. And then I threw up. My GI doesn't want me going to the ER because he said they will put me on steroids and we'll have to start all over with the Pred tapering. I feel AWFUL!!! Help! I can't believe my doctor told me to stay home and make sure I am hydrated. :sign0085: What would you do???

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Well this is a tough one, there is a nasty gastro bug going around, but if it is associated with Pain then I wouldnt wait to long. I know Pred sucks but a short taper could help. I don't get how a doc can dx over the phone. Are you in any pain?and if yes where?

It is a difficult one. This has happened to me I had 13 BMs one day cramps, no sickness and the hopsital told me to see how it goes, I rested and made sure I drank plenty. This has been going on and off for me now for 2 weeks.

I think if things dont settle down and you keep going or being sick you should see someone. I find that mornings are worst for me and I usually settle down.

Hope you feel better soon and drink plenty

Yes! My stomach is killing me and is gurgling and a bit bloated. I have no idea if this is associated with my Crohn's or is a bug that is going around (Crohn's usually makes me nauseous but has never actually made me vomit.)

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Ok, then it must be Crohns related, however last year I ended up in the hospital last year and had blood in the mucous, I had a sigmoid 2 days later and was told at first colitis but then the biopsy showed it was a gastro bug. It was my left side and it was bleeding cause it was so irritated. The next day after getting out of the hospital I read it was a bug going around. NOT trying to subdue your feelings but if you continue to vomit I would go to the hospital, being dehydrated is bad for us Crohnies... Hope you feel better soon! Keep us updated ok?

Thanks--If it gets any worse or I continue to vomit, I'll go in. I'll try to get some rest for now--if I can stay away from the commode for more than 30 minutes! Uck!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
If it were me I would of left to go to the hospital, you could have a partial bowel obstruction but with D,,, I doubt it. See how you feel ok.

My whole family has suffered with a current stomack virus. Started with my son, then my daughter, then me, then my husband. I have to say, the kids took it better than my husband. Men can be such babies. It only seemed to last 24 hours, but my daughter suffered a bit longer. I personally think that people with CD experience more painful cramps because of the fact that our intestines are already inflamed. It can be extremely painful at times. If your problems persist, ring the doc again and tell him the pain has become unbearable. Most of all remember to try to keep hydrated. If you continue to vomit and have diarrhea, go and get iv fluids.

My whole family has suffered with a current stomack virus. Started with my son, then my daughter, then me, then my husband. I have to say, the kids took it better than my husband. Men can be such babies. It only seemed to last 24 hours, but my daughter suffered a bit longer. I personally think that people with CD experience more painful cramps because of the fact that our intestines are already inflamed. It can be extremely painful at times. If your problems persist, ring the doc again and tell him the pain has become unbearable. Most of all remember to try to keep hydrated. If you continue to vomit and have diarrhea, go and get iv fluids.
I'm up to 10 BMs since 4 this morning. Yesterday my hubby wasn't feeling well-- I wonder if I caught something from him. He didn't have any D and vomiting though--just some nausea.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I know we are in Canada but my daughter caught a 24 hour bug she never vomited so much in her life!! She had D at the same time and she is fit and healthy... she just got into University, the biggest rats nest to catch stuff. As Julie says I would wait til 24 hours is up...