• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does anyone else have pain on orgasm?

does anyone else have pain on orgasm?

This is kind of an embarassing subject to discuss with doctors.
But it's been about 9 months now that I have pain at the moment of orgasm...
It started in March 2011, right after having a miscarriage, so I assumed it was from this (I didn't know I had crohn's at the time).
Then my crohn's started soon after (I was diagnosed in June) so I had a lot on my plate over the next few months and didn't give the orgasm issue much thought.
My gynecologist thinks its crohns related, that there are adhesions (scar tissue) from part of the bowel to either the uterus or fallopian tubes, and when the muscles contract on orgasm they pull on the scar tissue and cause pain...
I'm having a whole bunch of other tests to rule out other possibilities, but I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this??

Jessi

Not me. But I wonder... could this be endometriosis? Has your obgyn suggested that as an option?

Oh my I have the same problem! I have had crohn's since 2009 and I had surgery to remove an ovarian cyst in June and ever since then I have pain when I orgasm too! That's so weird but makes sense! So, what did your doctor say to do? This is getting annoying but I am too embarrassed to tell my doctor. I also have recently started to have problems again and I think I am beginning to have a flare up...ugh...

Well, my gastroenterologist said that if I have as many orgasms as possible this would start to stretch the scar tissue and could perhaps improve things. I'm trying to follow his advice but can't really say anything has changed.
My gynaecologist said that a pregnancy would solve things, as, again, the tissues would be stretched out and any scar tissue broken.
I am due to have some more tests to rule out other possibilities, but if they don't show anything, and we still suspect adhesions, these can only be seen laparoscopically - and they could perhaps also be cut during the same proceedure.
I think it will take a long time to figure it out and solve...
Strange that for you too the pain started after a surgery.
i'll let you know if I have any luck with figuring out what this is...

Ok keep me updated on what they find. I am getting fed up with this and thinking of calling my doctor and letting them know. I am glad I am not the only one but I think it's definitely related to my surgery I had because I never had this before!

I think mine is related to surgery too, as this only started after my miscarriage when I had to have a medical abortion. Doctors don't seem to think this could be the cause though.
I started the first round of tests this week, we'll see...
But probably you should tell your doctor. It took me 9 months to get around to doing so, as I really hoped it would resolve on its own but it doesn't look like that's going to happen...

Well, my gastroenterologist said that if I have as many orgasms as possible this would start to stretch the scar tissue and could perhaps improve things. I'm trying to follow his advice but can't really say anything has changed.
How many husbands out there hoping for this kind of advice from their wife's gynecologist? Mine for one.

Sorry to hear you are having pain. I talk to my gyn (female) all the time about intercourse. Maybe you should find a doctor that you feel more comfortable with.

Good luck.

Helena, so your doctors say its from your crohn's and not the surgery? Hmm...yea I think that's weird that yours would start after you had surgery and same with me!

Scl, haha yes you are right! My husband likes this advice, lol.

I actually really love my doctor...I am just shy when it comes to this haha. I will hopefully get the courage to say something!

I agree that its weird that you and I seem to be the only ones on the whole forum to have this problem, and that for both of us it appeared after having a gynecological surgery... But yes, none of my doctors (I have spoken to 4 doctors about this) think there is any way the surgery could be to blame. Which I find hard to believe, but i'm outnumbered...