• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does anyone have celiac and crohn's disease

W

wozzicat

Hi There,

My husband and I went to see a naturopath today. If you haven't read his history previously, he has been told my two GIs that he has the worst case of crohn's they have ever seen. He is in the bathroom a minimum of 15 times a day. We went to a naturopath who uses the pressure points and a biomeridian machine. I totally trust what this machine says. It has told me when I am getting a cold and when my finger was broke even though the dr. said it wasn't. Anyways, it is showing his small and large intestines are fine but there is something wrong with his stomach. It is also showing he has a high sensitivity to gluten. The dr. suggested getting tested for celiac disease. Is celiac common with crohn's? Does anyone have this?

Thanks in advance.

Jen

Kev

Hey Jen.. I've heard of people with symptoms of both, who responded well once they eliminated gluten from their diet. Seems many with one or both diseases are common. Think I recall reading/hearing of people with both conditions. Don't hold me to that. my memory isn't the best.. I haven't gone to a homeopath yet, but I am open to the idea, so I can't offer any first hand experience or advice on it BUT I did go to a chiropractor (sort of a related field) for back aches... AND she diagnosed my IBD correctly long before my doctors ever did. Now, was that sheer luck? I dunno. I wouldn't rule out homeopathic approaches to this disease... but neither would I dismiss traditional treatments from a 'traditional' doctor, regardless of whether one had bad experiences in dealing with doctors in treating other diseases/illnesses. Like, one bad doctor or one bad experience with a doctor doesn't mean they are all charlatans (sp?)
Same goes for one good experience with a homeopath doesn't mean they are all smart, wise, experienced, etc., etc.. there's good N bad in both professions.

There are people who have both Crohn's and Celiac. The nasty trio of diseases that seem to all be related, and some people have one or more of them at the same time are Crohn's, Celiac, and Hidradenitis Suppurativa.

We have all three in my family. So far no one has more than one each, but I watch for it.

My daughter is in fine shape after eliminating the Gluton in the diet. She is the one with Celiac. My son has the HS and we are working on a treatment for that. We have some good initial results but too early to report on.

There is a blood test for Gluton intolerance.

Dan Bergman

I have both...I've had Celiac for 5 years now, and an IBD (still not diagnosed) for almost 2 years. I've done my research and self-diagnosed it Crohn's, nothing else makes sense. Celiac is a main trigger for a lot of other things. In fact its the reason why I have asthma, hypothyroidism, many many allergies, lactose intollerance, hiatus hernia, and arthritis...now an IBD.

There are many similar symptoms: major fatigue, achiness, diarrhea, lightheadedness, etc. But there are 2 distinct symptoms---I feel the Crohn's pains on a daily basis, but I sure can tell when i've been glutened. The Celiac pains are on the lower-right side of the stomach also except they don't fade or feel like its on fire. Instead they are pains that feel like you've been cut. That's the best way to explain it. Like someone has jabbed you with a knife and left it there. It's so severe that you can't even function. Anything you eat or drink makes these pains more severe, nevermind the diarrhea affect...the most distinct of the 2 is the brainfog--the nice way to say short-term memory loss. And the one thing different about the Crohn's is the fact that you get random flareups, where it feels like your stomach is on fire.

Being already gluten-free is likely the reason why my Crohn's damage is less severe as i've already eliminated some of the foods that can trigger it (like the flour and dairy). I've also always been sensative to vegetables (since having Celiac) so I don't usually get flare-ups from those either.

Hope this helps!

~ Lisa ~

Not sure if u have Crohn's . This is something that can't go untreated and doesn't really have anything to do with being Gluten free. I do have both and get infusions for Crohn's. If u think u do gave it, u must get it diagnosed, because if untreated can lead to " leaky gut" and other issues.