• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does anyone have difficulties with pork, but not beef?

Good morning all!

Lately it seems that pork in particular is giving me some grief. Too bad, I love it, but it doesn't seem to love me anymore. Currently cooking up a little bacon and really, REALLY hoping that it will prove OK to eat.

Bufford

I find pork hard to digest and have taken it off of my diet. I found that often it has too much fat. Some of the lunch meats that are lean I can eat in small quantities. I eat a lot of chicken and fish, periodically some ground beef foods such as meat loaf.

Yes, I'm certain pork is a problem for my health and maybe colitis. I recently wrote about that issue in another section on the sight. I've been able to link eating pork, or pork gelatin to causing painful inflamed bleeding gums. I also experience muscle cramping.

Thanks everyone. I am putting it on the no eat list for awhile. Too bad, it gave a nice break from beef everyday and frequent fish. I can't do veggies. Going to get scoped in May. If I am right about my stricture causing part of my current issues, it should lead to some relief.

On another note, my remicade levels were very high based on a recent trough. So, next infusion will be cut in half! A little scary after almost a decade on it.

Best of luck with the pork avoidance.

I'm doing pretty good, gut wise, after avoiding pork and cashews. I'm hoping this good trend continues.

Have you ever had a food allergy test? I went to a doctor and found that I was extremely allergic to beef and pork. I've had 12 surgeries now and never seem to fully get into remission. But I cheat. Now that I have a permanent ileostomy (I named him Stan) I can tell what foods don't work. When Stan doesn't react well to a food, I know it's not good. I would suggest a food allergy test.

I have thought about it cheesy, in fact I did have an appointment to speak with my GP about it but I had to cancel it. A little worried given the restrictions that I already face. However, there may be something to it. Just strange that it would pop up now after close to 7 years in remission.