• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does anyone know about Short Bowel Syndrome

This is my first time posting, Good Evening. I have been diagnosed with Crohns since 1990, my first flare was in 1993 - Resection, and then another in 1995 - Resection, and so on..... then I ended up on TPN for 7 years and slowly was able to reintroduce food in the past 5 years, since being off TPN I have had 4 more resections which have resulted in a proctoclolectomy with an ileostomy. I have recently been told that I only have 103 cm of small intestines left, and as you already know my total large is gone. I also am not a good candidate for TPN at the present time due to my past TPN experience has left me with a damage liver function. I was informed that I am running out of options and was inquiring if anyone else is or has any experience with this situation. I understand that it states that you usually end up TPN dependent if you have less than 100 cm, does anyone know this for sure?? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome,

I'm afraid I don't have any answers.
I want to send you my support.

David

Co-Founder
Welcome to the community. Yes, with that little intestine left, you'd likely end up TPN dependent.

They HAVE begun very early trials of intestine transplants which you may want to research as you may be a candidate.

My heart goes out to you.