• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does anyone know how reliable a blood test is to diagnose celiacs?

My doctor is 99% sure I have Crohn's based on variety of tests. I asked him to rule out Celiacs before I start treatment with Skyrizi this coming week. I got my blood tests back yesterday which appear to me to be negative for Celiacs. I've read that a biopsy might be the best indicator of someone having Celiacs. I'm struggling to believe that I would get Crohn's out of the blue and really only have one symptom (loose stool). To be clear, I do have ulcers in my jejunum. I was holding out hope that maybe this was Celiacs disease. My question: Is a blood test accurate in the diagnosis of Celiacs?

Also, this is my third inquiry on this forum. I'm new to any forums. Am I supposed to start a new thread each time like I have been? I guess my question is, am I posting correctly?

Last edited:
I'm not very familiar with celiac diagnosis, but I can tell you that many people with Crohn's have very subtle symptoms.

If you're continuing to have symptoms, you may want to try the Skyrizi and see if it helps. You don't have to stay on the drug forever if you don't want to.

There are different blood tests for celiac. One is to see if you have the gene associated with celiac (doesn’t mean you necessarily have it). Another tests to see if your body is reacting against gluten - for it to be valid you have to have been eating gluten containing food in the six weeks before the blood test.
One very simple option is to completely exclude gluten from your diet for a week and see if you feel better. This involves a lot of reading ingredients as gluten is in all kinds of things you wouldn’t expect it’s not just bread and pasta.
My little one had terrible diarrhoea, tummy pain, failure to thrive as a toddler, I was terrified it was Crohn’s like me, 2 days into a gluten free diet and he was better, no more diarrhoea, eventually started growing again. I don’t think I’ve ever been so grateful.
But bad news is Crohn’s can be very symptom lite and also very dangerous. By all means do a gluten elimination diet. If you aren’t better quickly then seriously consider the meds. Good luck

I'm not very familiar with celiac diagnosis, but I can tell you that many people with Crohn's have very subtle symptoms.

If you're continuing to have symptoms, you may want to try the Skyrizi and see if it helps. You don't have to stay on the drug forever if you don't want to.
Thanks. I've decided to move forward with the Skyrizi this coming week. As hard as it is to believe I would get Crohn's out of the blue, I'm seeing where anything is possible with this disease including how it presents itself in people. Thank you again.

There are different blood tests for celiac. One is to see if you have the gene associated with celiac (doesn’t mean you necessarily have it). Another tests to see if your body is reacting against gluten - for it to be valid you have to have been eating gluten containing food in the six weeks before the blood test.
One very simple option is to completely exclude gluten from your diet for a week and see if you feel better. This involves a lot of reading ingredients as gluten is in all kinds of things you wouldn’t expect it’s not just bread and pasta.
My little one had terrible diarrhoea, tummy pain, failure to thrive as a toddler, I was terrified it was Crohn’s like me, 2 days into a gluten free diet and he was better, no more diarrhoea, eventually started growing again. I don’t think I’ve ever been so grateful.
But bad news is Crohn’s can be very symptom lite and also very dangerous. By all means do a gluten elimination diet. If you aren’t better quickly then seriously consider the meds. Good luck

Thank you so much for replying. I appreciate you sharing your personal stories as well.

What you said here:

But bad news is Crohn’s can be very symptom lite and also very dangerous.

is what I keep running into when I research. For this reason, I have just decided to go forward with the Skyrizi this coming week. The more I read and learn about Crohn's, the more scared I get. If I have a possibility to prevent progression, I'd better take it. Thank you again.

It’s very unpredictable disease. My sister had Crohn’s diagnosed years ago after years of having to race to the toilet mid- conversation. A heavy course of prednisone and no more spicy food and she has been in remission drug free for 20 years plus. Me on the other hand no real warning signs then I was lucky to survive when my small intestine perforated and I got sepsis and had emergency surgery. Followed with six years of all kinds of heavy drugs and my inflammation levels are finally not normal but a lot better and I am a shadow of who I was before I got sick.
In between those extremes you will find all sorts of folk who go into a lovely remission on drugs, some who can manage on dietary modification alone (SCD and IBD-AID for example), and others who have to change or tweak medication every so often as their body starts to react or stops responding. It’s a very personal journey and the only right answers come with hindsight.

Blood tests are commonly used as an initial screening tool to aid in the diagnosis of celiac disease. These blood tests detect certain antibodies that are commonly found in individuals with celiac disease. While blood tests can be helpful, they are not 100% definitive and may require additional evaluation for a confirmed diagnosis.

Here are a few key points about blood tests for celiac disease:

1. Antibody Tests: The primary blood tests used for celiac disease are the tissue transglutaminase antibody (tTG-IgA) test and the anti-endomysial antibody (EMA) test. These tests detect specific antibodies that are produced in response to gluten consumption in individuals with celiac disease.
  2. Sensitivity and Specificity: The sensitivity and specificity of these blood tests are generally high, meaning they can accurately detect the presence of celiac disease in most cases. However, false-positive and false-negative results can still occur.
  3. Gluten Consumption: For accurate blood test results, it's important to be consuming gluten-containing foods in the diet at the time of testing. Avoiding gluten prior to testing may lead to false-negative results.
  4. Follow-Up Testing: If blood tests indicate a high likelihood of celiac disease, a follow-up procedure such as an intestinal biopsy may be recommended to confirm the diagnosis. Biopsy involves taking small tissue samples from the small intestine to examine for characteristic changes associated with celiac disease.
  5. Genetic Testing: Genetic testing can also be used to aid in the diagnosis of celiac disease. It identifies the presence of specific genetic markers (HLA-DQ2 and HLA-DQ8) that are associated with an increased risk of developing celiac disease. However, genetic testing alone cannot diagnose celiac disease as the markers are also present in individuals without the condition.
It's important to note that celiac disease diagnosis is a complex process, and interpretation of test results should be done by a healthcare professional experienced in celiac disease diagnosis. They will consider the clinical symptoms, blood test results, and other diagnostic procedures to make an accurate diagnosis.

If you suspect you have celiac disease or have concerns about gluten intolerance, it's recommended to consult with a healthcare professional, such as a gastroenterologist or a registered dietitian specializing in celiac disease, who can guide you through the diagnostic process and provide appropriate advice and support.

Last edited:
Blood tests are commonly used as an initial screening tool to aid in the diagnosis of celiac disease. These blood tests detect certain antibodies that are commonly found in individuals with celiac disease. While blood tests can be helpful, they are not 100% definitive and may require additional evaluation for a confirmed diagnosis.

Here are a few key points about blood tests for celiac disease:

1. Antibody Tests: The primary blood tests used for celiac disease are the tissue transglutaminase antibody (tTG-IgA) test and the anti-endomysial antibody (EMA) test. These tests detect specific antibodies that are produced in response to gluten consumption in individuals with celiac disease.
  2. Sensitivity and Specificity: The sensitivity and specificity of these blood tests are generally high, meaning they can accurately detect the presence of celiac disease in most cases. However, false-positive and false-negative results can still occur.
  3. Gluten Consumption: For accurate blood test results, it's important to be consuming gluten-containing foods in the diet at the time of testing. Avoiding gluten prior to testing may lead to false-negative results.
  4. Follow-Up Testing: If blood tests indicate a high likelihood of celiac disease, a follow-up procedure such as an intestinal biopsy may be recommended to confirm the diagnosis. Biopsy involves taking small tissue samples from the small intestine to examine for characteristic changes associated with celiac disease.
  5. Genetic Testing: Genetic testing can also be used to aid in the diagnosis of celiac disease. It identifies the presence of specific genetic markers (HLA-DQ2 and HLA-DQ8) that are associated with an increased risk of developing celiac disease. However, genetic testing alone cannot diagnose celiac disease as the markers are also present in individuals without the condition.
It's important to note that celiac disease diagnosis is a complex process, and interpretation of test results should be done by a healthcare professional experienced in celiac disease diagnosis. They will consider the clinical symptoms, blood test results, and other diagnostic procedures to make an accurate diagnosis.

If you suspect you have celiac disease or have concerns about gluten intolerance, it's recommended to consult with a healthcare professional, such as a gastroenterologist or a registered dietitian specializing in celiac disease, who can guide you through the diagnostic process and provide appropriate advice and support.
Thank you so much for detailed information on testing for celiac disease. I suppose nothing from my celiac testing blood work alarmed my doctor or indicated I was positive for celiac disease so my doctor has given me the Crohn's diagnosis. I was hoping for celiac disease because I would rather eliminate gluten than face the uncertainties and decisions that go with treating Crohn's. I am now testing out a biologic to see if it will help. Thank you again.