• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does anyone know the status of research on leukocytopherisis as a treatment for ulcerative colitis? research

My son was diagnosed with UC this past October. He is almost 18. Treatment is typical but we have started working with an outstanding clinical nutritionist who once worked at Johns Hopkins but left because the doctors don't seem to have any knowledge about contrition/ food as medicine, and refuse to incorporate nutrition into their treatment. Our experience with the MDs has been exactly that. The nutritionist put my son on a gluten and dairy free diet with probiotics and high quality vitamins. He put himself on the paleo diet. The MD put him on prednisone and other standard meds short of immune suppressors and he was prescribed an enema. He was in remission for a while and MD said looking at his colon during his 2nd colonoscopy that if he didn't know his history he wouldn't know he had UC. In may my son went out of the country for a month and food was pretty awful. He had a flare-up and came home and kept getting worse. MD tried Ucras but that didn't work. We went to nutritionist and he started taking human strain probiotics and higher doses of L-Glutamine. Within 24 hrs of taking the probiotics with L-Glutamine bleeding almost totally stopped. Md put him on prednisone again. My son had a sigmoidoscopy this past Wed, less than a week from bleeding having stopped. . Md said he should go on immune suppressors. Would not acknowledge that probiotics and L-Glutamine did anything. Very frustrating for my son bks it's hard to get any info from MDs about any studies on the use of probiotics, L- Glutamine, etc. My daughter asked about Leukocytopherisis but MD said such treatment is not available to my son. Does anyone know if that's true?