• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does anyone take fiber?

I was at a visit with my primary care doctor today and she told me to take a fiber supplement. I asked her if it causes cramping and she said no, which is against what I would think. Was wondering if anyone takes fiber and how it does for you. I've heard that it can help with diarrhea and constipation, which I get both. Thanks

Trysha

Staff member
My gastroenterologist prescribed Mucillium for me to take after extensive surgery messed up my system
It does not cause cramping and works well for regularity...mostly.
It is the best fibre I have tried and will continue to use it..well I don't have much choice

I was at a visit with my primary care doctor today and she told me to take a fiber supplement. I asked her if it causes cramping and she said no, which is against what I would think. Was wondering if anyone takes fiber and how it does for you. I've heard that it can help with diarrhea and constipation, which I get both. Thanks

-----------

I find it is better and more efficient to get soluble fibre from food sources, rather than a supplement where it has been processed. Eating 4 kiwis for example, has roughly half a day of fibre in it, and it is pretty easy to eat!

scottsma

I tried Psyllium for a good few months as I have both d & c.I didn't do well on it although I did / do drink enough fluids and water.I have also tried Fybogel powder mixed with water which was only OK.High fibre,0 sugar breakfast cereal works best for me.

I’ve found fiber actually constipates me. Go figure. I take miralax which works really well for me. That and plenty of fluids. But a lot of people do take psyllium husks; you could do a trial run and see how your body reacts (sounds really fun, I know). When one consultant told me I needed 7 grams of fiber daily I dutifully tried and was constipated for two weeks. Not doing that again!

scottsma

I hate con.more than D.....I have a fear of a blockage and needing to go to hospital to get unblocked.Been close a few times.D. I can control with prescribed Loperamide but I'm careful not to over do it.It's about finding a balance that agrees with me.