• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does anyone with UC have advice about stopping blood?

Hi, I'm new here. I have had UC for about 15-20 years. I have flares off and on, and am in the middle of a pretty bad flare. It's going on the 7th week. I have been passing blood and going to the bathroom about 5-6 times a day. I just started Canasa, and am also seeing an acupuncturist for more holistic help. I usually let the symptoms clear up by themselves, but this time seems more difficult than usual. I am a vegetarian, and now have stopped milk products and wheat to try and let myself heal easier. I am really scared to take any oral medicines, as I am very sensitive and tend to have reactions. I was just wondering if anyone has any helpful tips.

hi KaLa, welcome to the forum.

i don't know as much about UC as i do Crohn's, but i would say that if you're passing blood continually, then your doctor needs to know asap.

if it's just when you pass a motion, then it's maybe less of an urgent issue, could just be a little tear or hemmies, but still your doctor should be told.

Thanks. I just saw my gastro. Dr. on Friday, and that's when I started the Canasa. It has been a lot of blood when I go to the bathroom. I have to check back in a week to see if there's any improvement.