• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does anyone...

Use the handicapped bathrooms in public places and not feel bad about it? Technically we should be allowed to use those bathrooms. :)

I agree! I think its quiet acceptable to use them when needed and if they are free.. Nothing is worse than having to stand in a queue and needing the toilet with this condition!
Completely agree :)

Condition: Crohn's Disease
Age Diagnosed: 15
Previous Meds: Prednisolone, Pentasa, Asacolon.
Meds now: NONE!! :)
Meds don't agree with me with Crohn's so I stopped taking them and I feel good :smile:
Feel free to have a chat!

I do it all the time, they are bigger, cleaner and they never have a queue. Noone has asked me anything so far. On the other hand, when you run into a bathroom pale as a ghost with sweat drops on your forehead, I dont think ANYONE would doubt that you really NEED to go.

Exactly, cleaner and alot more private too!! Some people can be very rude even if you look like your about to fall down in a ball so to the better toilets we go! :)

not for me, then again, I'm not severe. I suppose everyone has different reasons but I would not use these toilets unless it was an absolute last resort.

I don't feel bad!!!

I once went to wal-mart and all the other stalls were in use and there is no way I could wait. I had a vomiting/diarrhea spell coming on. A lady came in with a woman in a wheel chair and started banging on the door (as I'm clearly being sick) yelling at me asking if I'm handicapped. She would NOT leave me alone. People are ridiculous, just because you cant see my "handicap" doesn't mean you should be a jerk.

I use whatever toilet I have to, when I need to.

I've used the men's bathroom before. I am absolutely NOT concerned with what people say to me or how they view me. Me and my BM's are noone's business or concern and I have no guilt or shame in my game at all.

And I agree with Previous Post, not all handicaps are visable. But me walking around with poop pants on is definatly visable...IJS...

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I'm with you Kenya - I've used a mens' room before!!!.....

I also use the handicap stall - for one the seats are usually a bit higher and two they are generally cleaner!

I agree! When you gotta go, you gotta go and there's no shame in that.

Not to mention that most people don't understand the absolute NEED behind using a handicapped stall because there's no visual proof like mentioned before.

I use them without embarrassment all the time.

Honest question - is there some unwritten rule that only handicapped people can use the handicapped stall?

I've always used the handicapped stall and never felt bad about it. Of course, if there are 2 stalls available and one is handicapped and the other is a regular stall, I use the regular stall.

It's also kind of hard when you're shopping with an infant and you HAVE to go to the bathroom! The only stall I fit in is the handicapped ones! No way I'd leave Sadie unattended.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
When ya gotta go ya gotta go...that's what I have told my kids. If you need to use whatever bathroom is available then that is what you use...men's, women's or disabled.

Lord knows this disease is hard enough without the pain and embarrassment of not being able to go when you don't have a choice.

Dusty. xxx

I'm in agreement with Dusty, you gotta go, you GOTTA go! If I'm feeling urgency or have had an accident (Which was common after my surgery) I don't care what bathroom is supposed to be whose, I'm going and you had better not be in my way! I have quite the temper mid flare Lol. And for the record I always use the handicap bathrooms and honestly with the way this disease can cripple you not only physically but mentally as well we should be on the handicapped list. I couldn't tell you how many times I wish I had those parking spaces because I felt light headed due to being sick.

if there is no one in a wheelchair, or anyone else who needs assistance, waiting, who cares if you use the handicap stall/bathroom?? even if it isn't an emergency.