• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does Ayurveda treat crohn's?

Hi!
I am 42 years old male.. I have crohn's and currently taking imuran, medical cannabis strains and sometimes xanax for stress and pain. I have only started to improve and feel better after I was hospitalized last week for 10 days and put on strict diet. After I came back home, I started to make my food myself which is simply composed of fresh fruits drink especially banana milk and strawberry, natural fruit ice cream and vegetables soup. I make sure that most of what I eat is easy to digest, slightly cocked and soft or semi-liquid. I skip meals often and replace it with banana milk or fruits ice cream! I think that each person worked out what best suits..
I am thinking of traveling to srilanka seeking ayurvedic treatment, and wish to connect with someone with the same interest ..

Hi,

I have wondered this myself!

I have been working on a blog that was intended to focus on ayurveda but has taken more to yoga since I haven't been well enough to really play with my diet all that drastically due to severe symptoms the past year. I've done a lot of research/ work with constitution types and even loosely following ayruvedic guidelines (such as not mixing certain foods at the same time such as fruit & yogurt, making the effort to eat at the same time every day, etc.) did allow me to go further in my days. Essentially, rather then feeling like crap at 2:00 due to symptoms it didn't really start hitting hard until later in the evenings or even in the middle of the night.

Please keep me informed if you do decide to travel and seek ayurvedic treatment, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks! It's great to hear from you..
I practiced meditation for long time in the form of just relaxing and allowing better internal communication. But with this, something else was happening on mental or "spiritual" level other than healing crohn's! Eventually I stooped and went out of myself trying to resolve the (samskaras) that is being brought to surface, and started looking for medicine again in the form of herbs or pharmaceutical medicine. I have been studying India and srilanka as a potential destination for healing on different levels. I think that Ayurvedic healing system mainly depends on the healer and or the person with the disease learns the basics of Ayurveda and lives a whole life of self healing. If a certain herb or medicine can be simply and directly used to treat an illness then it doesn't have to be labeled Ayurvedic. I think that original Ayurveda has to do with more than addressing and treating illness in the form of (crohn's) for example. I once read an original text explaining what ayurveda is. The paper is less than A4.. My conclusion about that was that Ayurveda is about creating a healer who can later on extend that healing spirit to another person using different means or herbs etc.

That is very interesting and similar to what I've garnered too. There are the guidelines etc. that are the more scientific aspect of Ayurveda, but the purpose goes so much deeper then the western concept of "curing" an illness. It is certainly more about whole body/ mind/ energetic wellness supported through the use of proper diet and lifestyle choices that must be constantly developed with the intent of self-healing... the food, herbs, and treatments alone won't do all the work - the person needs to work with the Ayurvedic system with sincerity, patience, and commitment as well.

I use meditation/ yoga to help manage the day to day ups and downs of the disease and keep a good, primarily positive head on my shoulders since despite the use of TNF blockers etc. they only offer temporary healing, although I certainly feel my disease while present on a energetic and mental level, it is extensive to the point of being systematic. My personal hope for me would be to be able to utilize ayurveda at a deeper level then I do now, with medication, to reach and maintain the seemingly ever elusive remission.

I wonder if there is a social activity connecting us who wishes to travel or traveled seeking alternative ways of holistic healing such as Ayurveda or other. When considering doing this, many questions and concerns raised regarding where, how good who etc.. Did you start your blogging yet?

I have! The blog address is journeyintoayurveda.wordpress.com if you would like to check it out.

Most of the postings are focused on either my experience with Crohn's and yoga, a couple posts on meditation, and a couple on diet. I'm really hoping to be able to start focusing a bit more on the ayurvedic/ food aspect but am in the middle of a move so it may be some time yet.

Great.. I will check that out. Did you try cannabis? I am 42 now and I have just recently started to see different things in my life coming together. Those are my interest in the Indian heritage / culture sense I was young, my brother's lifelong struggle with what seemed to many as an addiction and the problems associated such as legal issue etc. My interest in plants and planting and my interest in alchemy and natural preparations and extracting and making natural soap. Last winter I was still suffering from recurrent semi-paralysis I started to get after going through continues flares attacks and joints cramps and stiffness.. Something that kept me in bed for many days. I was carried to emergency room each time it happened. But the last one I decided to make an anointing oil following a recipe I've found on the net. By following spagery or alchemy basics I learned before I made an oil composed of cannabis with other ingredients such as myrrh, frankincense, Olive oil and cinnamon. I used it for several days as the pain and stiffness were intolerable. And it healed. I still use cannabis often as it eases the flare and pain greatly.

I have tried cannabis, and honestly it's what I believe allowed me to successfully attend college and be able to attend classes without missing too many days as well as get an education rather then simply going through the motions to receive that final piece of paper that symbolizes the education gained, which was very important to me.

Due to the legal concerns in the area where I was attending college, I did not try any methods of introducing cannabis to my system other then the usual edibles/ vape with the rare tincture or cannabis lotion that tended to arise briefly around April 20th each year.

Following graduation I was working in a legal office and stopped using cannabis because I could not risk getting fired over something like that. Over the course of the first five months of employment with them my symptoms grew worse and worse to the point of being unbearable. After a trip to WA state with one of the partners for a business trip/ concert I threw that out the window as my employers didn't care whether I smoked, it just needed to remain professional. Reintroducing cannabis was certainly a contributing factor in allowing me to manage working another 11 months until my prescription meds were officially deemed a failure as we'd been suspecting for some time.

This past year has certainly influenced my significant other's and my own choice to move not just closer to better medical care for me and job opportunities for him, but also to be in a state where cannabis is legal and there will be less concerns on that front.

I think that this is basically the (building block) of life. The meeting between two extremities in not-so-exact manner.. If an illness meets exactly with its cure then there is no disease in the first place. If fracture or duality is thought of as an disease then life would not exist at all. Dana is illegal here too. And since that it's becoming essential in easing the disease I go through I also started to consider moving into another place where it's not an issue to feel stressed about. But there was something essential I learned after spending months of meditating alone in my apartment and having to face my worst fears of becoming too much sick or unable to prepare my food or even go out to buy food at times I was so sick to move.. That is to let go of attachments. I also began to understand what the teachings about samskaras or attachments are about. I have never asked or tried to get Dana is before. It came my way all the time and I just thought that it's about getting high while it came my way because it consists part of my treatment or a factor of helping me stay well. I will go back to reading in your blog. I became happy when I read that you have studied writing. I am a book worm. There's a place in India called Sharan. It's managed by dr. Nandita who is a friend of a friend, a lovely lady called Sandhya. They are very active and healing with food is their passion.

Just reached to the 8-fold path part in your blog. And I remembered how after I followed that in raja yoga philosophy and practice - it changed everything I thought I knew about life! Nothing is the same after that. And I've had to let go of all thinking models or judgments because non is true..

I agree! Yoga is life changing. It is a practice of growing every single day. I've gotten stuck on asana because of inflammation that has been present in my legs as an extraintestinal manifestation of crohn's the last 10 months but am slowly getting back into preforming gentle asana practices when I can, it has been interesting to not have asana as my main understanding of yoga because each aspect to yoga certainly enhances the others and I don't feel you can fully embody yoga and all it offers without embracing all its faucets.

It is so inspirational that you've committed to meditation for extended periods of time like that. I have always struggled more with meditation then anything else. The fear I felt each time I would get settled into a meditation was so paralyzing I'd often emerge with no deeper understanding, just a deep sense of something bigger going on and the realization that I'd been crying the entire time. There was one however that went very deep and seemed to unravel many of my fears and insecurities. I wrote a bit about that experience somewhere on the blog and after ever since that one time, although there is still sadness because often I see in my meditations the methods of how I view myself in regards to the disease are just as destructive as the disease itself, there is no more fear. It is difficult to let go of attachments, especially the deeply personal ones, but this is very essential to being able to heal and move forward - even if it is just baby steps over a lifetime.

I really would like to be able to visit India one day, and will keep their names in my notebook for future reference.

Did you try urine massage? It works wonders for external problems.. I do not recommend drinking as the teaching say unless guided by a specialized ayurvedic practitioner. But there is nothing to worry about with massage.

It could be a nice idea on the horizon to connect with others who wishes to journey to India or srilanka or maybe Tibet, in a journey of exploration, meet with rishis and learn new things about ayurvida and other disciplines.

Could you please point out to where that part is in your blog? The one about your meditation experience..

Thanks for all your replies and looking forward to connect again soon. As you've mentioned above - it's ok to take it baby steps .. I learned to direct certain notions by thought, a process that was once called initiation. I am extending to you a (pass) that will help you find the origins of those fears and sorrow that you might feel hurried deeply in mind..
Wishing you complete remission and healing.

Shavambu shastra kalpa, an ayurvedic healing method which consists of using your urine for healing. Google it..
I read yesterday in your blog. I enjoy reading your words. I also sent you fb friend request.

I like writing too. I wrote business models biorganic profiles (companies turning eco-friedly) and also brand concepts (copy and graphic design).