• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does Aza (Azathioprine) cause strange dreams?

Hello,

About two weeks on Aza and I have had strange and vivid dreams most nights. As someone who has never really had dreams (or at least I rarely remember them) this is hard to understand. Is this a known side effect? Clearly it is not a big issue, but curious if anyone has experienced similar.

All the best,

Rob

I took Aza for the first time last night and I had a great sleep! I usually have strange dreams but last nigh had none.

I know what you mean -- I'm now 4 months into Aza, and no more vivid dreams. In fact, they stopped after several weeks. But I do remember them. Sort of strange, but sort of entertaining.

When I was on methotrexate I had the strangest dreams and they were so vivid. I started aza about 4 weeks ago and really I have had no dreams quite like the mthx ones, however, the night before last I remember that I had a bruise on my leg and it was a big, blue purple one, large too in the shape of a straight line - like I had walked in to a sharp bench or something. The next morning after I had been a wake for an hour or so I went to feel and check out the bruise - but there wasn't one - it must have been a dream - I was surprised as I was convinced I had a bruise - it was funny. I don't think it is the aza for me - it's more like my low grade fevers and current flare making me do this.