• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does azapriothine/imuran cause teeth to hurt?

i have a question,
I'm on azapriothine and asacol. my teeth have recently started hurting like they did when i was taking prednisone. but i have not had any prednisone in about two months, maybe longer. can aza cause this, or is it the crohn's?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Sorry for the late reply junkboy64. Are your teeth still hurting?

Azathioprine can cause bleeding gums and sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or in the mouth as possible side effects (listed under Common). http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-information/DR601561/DSECTION=side-effects

Asacol could cause heartburn or acid reflux as a possible side effect. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-information/DR600901/DSECTION=side-effects

Acid reflux can make your teeth more sensitive which may be the cause of your pain be it Crohn's causing the acid reflux or medication causing it or increasing it.

Have you seen a dentist about the pain? They should be able to pinpoint the cause right away even if it's Crohn's related.

the teeth pain was horrible for about 2 weeks and then it went completely away.. i do get a slight dry mouth but nothing major.. it felt like my teeth had been bleached.. like all the water was sucked out of my teeth.. it hurt to have them touch together.. but its gone now.. thanks for the info.. if it happens again, ill go directly to the dentest.

You know now that I think about it I did have that problem when I was on Imuran. I was also grinding my teeth some. It almost feels like you need to have something to chew on. When I was experiencing this I almost had the urge to chew on tires and baby toys, strange right? It did fade after awhile and it eventually went away.

My grinding of teeth started when I was put on a high dose of prendisone for some reason and kind of went away after a few years. I don't really do it anymore though but I did seem to fit the bill for the link you sent me.