• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does crohns disease affect my life in the future

I have been diagnosed with crohns recently after bleeding from the bowel, and having a colonoscopy ....after bieng diagnosed i have been wondering,
-will i be able to drink alcohol in my older life?
-will this affect my future life?
-is there a cure for this crohns?
I am 14 and havetoo go for a checkup with my doctor every 8weeks, he is brilliant, also if i have flare ups or have questions, i am to ring somebody called jane, she is so nice and understandable.
But i want to know for myself , the above questions, somebody who has had crohns for many years and knows what im going through, would be great to hear from.
I hope you get the chance to read this and hope to get a reply.
Thanks , amie . X

nogutsnoglory

You are so brave to come here and seek support. Crohn's is a chronic lifelong illness with no cure yet but it has its ups and downs. Sometimes you may feel horribly but you can also have periods of remission where you feel great.

Alcohol is not all it's cracked up to be. I'm sure kids in school think its cool but believe me it's really not a big deal. Whether you can drink when you are older will depend on how you feel with it and what meds you take. Some can handle a little alcohol but I don't think it's advised to drink too much.

Have you checked out our teens forum? http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67 go introduce yourself and meet others :)

Hi Amie,
Crohns is horrible disease, suffer like slightly cold or skin problem is more less related to Crohns some way or other. Also there no such thing as stupid question on this forum.
Good Luck hopeful you will in remission soon. x

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi Amiekinsey and welcome to the forum! :D

Yes you will be able to drink alcohol. As mentioned above though flares and medication will likely be a factor. Some medications are less effective when you drink alcohol and some medications can affect your liver so adding alcohol on top of that really makes your liver work overtime and could cause problems. Moderation is key.

It may or may not affect your future life. I've had Crohn's for 22 years now so I pretty much grew up with it. I'm not sure how different my life could have been if I didn't have Crohn's. I did get my Master's degree in sculpture so it really didn't affect my school too much. I think its very possible for you to accomplish any goals you set for yourself as long as you take care of yourself.

As mentioned there is no cure currently for Crohn's didease but research is ongoing and I'm still hopeful that there will be a cure in my lifetime.

What's your current treatment plan? Keep us posted on how you're doing. :)