• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does Crohn's Disease cause kidney stones

S

Skinsfan1229

So how many of you get kidney stones and how do you think you get them?

Mine correlated with ER visits, so I came to believe that it might have been from me being dehydrated then rehydrated with saline and patassium and suck.

Any others?

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
I haven't had any since my dx, but I have had about 5 or so incidents of kidney stones in the past 10 years. All were passable (me being female helps).

S

Skinsfan1229

Some literature says that us Crohnies are a certain amount of times more likely to get them then normal population.

X

xrayzerase

i never had one--but my brother and dad have--(they dont have crohn's though)
but..it sounds interesting that dehydration to hydration (and all stuff taken to replace lost stuff from dehydration) may play a role at least in when you tend to get the stones..... is there something they can add to the replacing of lost stuff to make it easier on the kidneys next time?

V

Valentina

Me! mine are calcium and I think my first one was when I was around 17 or so, so they couldnt believe thats what it was. Im on #4 now, doesnt seem to be doing anything but sitting there, same size and location since December (2mm).. I get a bit worried because I take calcium (bad bone scan from the pred)
Ive been told it wont make a difference, but the very first eurologist I ever had actually told me to avoid all calcium high foods (bit of an old-timer maybe?)

Kev

Been there, done that... I know from first hand experience that kidney stones hail from dehydration... I became ill with a very serious flu, was hospitalied/rehydrated, then warned that kidney stones WOULD/COULD become a late side effect (2 years later had my first - NOT FUN). Had read that dehydration could lead to this also, from
reading biography of British actor... He'd become dehydrated filming a western, then years later had stones... so it apparently takes some time for them to grow after a bout of dehydration.. or is it the stuff they use to re-hydrate you? I dunno. I also was told early on (had mine back in the 80's) to avoid calcium rich foods, but recently told that I needed more calcium to AVOID stones (albeit 'gallstones'). also understand that you need something else in order to properly absorb calcium, but I don't know what it is (just told it's contained in most multi-vitimans)... I do know that a simple method of seeing excess calcium disposed by the body is to look for white specs in your nails... now whether that's there because you have enuff OR because your body isn't properly absorbing it I don't know. Anyone else any info?

S

Skinsfan1229

Vitamin D is what helps you absorb Calcium. Which you can get from natural sunlight.

I also get the white specs on my nails...with the fast growing, thick nails.