• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does Crohn's Disease pain wax and wane

I was wondering if it is typical for crohns pain to wax and wane. I have been dealing with abdominal pain for a couple months now and am finally scheduled to get a colonoscopy in the next week or two. The last couple days, I start to feel better and then, out of nowhere, am hit with the worst cramps. I thought I was feeling okay last night and tried to sleep without taking a tylenol 3. Well, I made it till 3 am before I woke up in agony. Does your pain come and go like that? I am still undiagnosed so I am not sure what is considered typical for crohns. Thanks.

This is how it used to be a lot for me a lot before I had an ileostomy. I was usually in pain every day, but some days worse than others. You really have to watch what you eat, dont stress to much and try to relax and rest as much as possible when you start feeling pain otherwise it could get worse. Some nights I would wake up at about 2 or 3am in a lot of pain, and would be in the bathroom throwing up, and would not be able to get back to sleep due to the pain. When I was in pain like that I would drink a lot of water, lay down and rest and avoid eating anything. Sometimes it helped, sometimes it didn't. I don't know what medications you are on for it, but you should talk to your doctor about it and hopefully they can put you on something that will better help you with the pain and inflamation.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Yes, for some it can be! I also have a spastic colon on top of ulcers in the Ileum. Food can be a trigger and narrowing or scarring can be the culprit. Just keep your bowels moving as Tylenol 3's tend to bind. That is worse than diahreah. If you start to vomit and acute pain then I would go to ER. :hang:

Thanks everyone for all of the advice and support. I've only been dealing with this for a few months but it's been a nightmare. No one seems to really believe I'm sick. The doctors think it's an infection yet i've been on antibiotics and obviously the symptoms are still here. My boyfriend is really the only one I can talk to because he thinks it's crohns, too, but I'm sure he's getting a little annoyed about my constant complaining so it's great I can talk to all of you now :)

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Never worry about whining or venting here. Best you do it to us. I have a wonderful supportive husband but as of late he must be sick in tired of all my complaining lately... damn disease. What antibotics are you on Cipro or Flagyl or both?? Awareness is needed in this disease, I made my family read a book that is too the point and easy to understand so if they want to understand you or want to help it is good for you and them. If you have narrowing or strictures, that most likely wont be healed if it is scarring or spastic colons. :hang: ask any questions, it is why we are all here!

I finished the antibiotics. I am not sure which one they gave me as it was an injection given in the office; I think it may have just been zithromax (sp?). They thought it was a pelvic infection. My symptoms have been getting progressively worse and I ended up in the hospital wednesday. The ER gave me Bentyl, which I understand is for IBS?? I haven't noticed any improvement so far while on the Bentyl.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I am assuming that is Dicyclomine, an antispasmotic, I have them too and they work but only if they are spasms. You are not on anything for meds at the moment? Ah I just read you are not diagnosed yet. You are best to wait for the colonoscopy. If you are in alot of discomfort, try drinking Ensure, at least you are getting nutrition and you most likely will not be in pain. I take the Dicyclomine a few hours after, cause taking it during a meal to me is too early. IF it is a spasm. :hang:

I do have constant hunger pains and grumbling which I learned could be spasms? Do you get any side effects from the dicyclomine? I have only taken it at night because I wasn't sure of the side effects I would have and I think it makes me really tired but then again I can't be sure because I am taking it at night. I'm a full-time student and have a full-time job so I'm a little leary of taking anything throughout the day.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Sometimes they can make you feel a tiny bit drowsy but it depends if you eat when you take them. I just don't drive, but most of the time it is ok. I used to take Buscopan but they dont work at all and no sides. I am assuming you are a tad underweight and I am not. Like alcohol it affects everyone differently. I dont drink any more, tho hardly worth it.

Take one during the day on the weekend and see how you feel. Drink an ensure if you cant eat. Not good to take any meds on an empty stomach unless you are taking Cipro or one that says an empty stomach. :wink:

Definitely drinking Ensure might help. There is also Carnation instant breakfast that I stir in with almond milk which does well. Stay away from things that are hard to digest, eat softer foods and chew it really well. I am new to Crohn's but find that these things help when you are in pain. I wish you best of luck and hope everything goes well!

Hey Lauren. I'm new here too and I have very similar symptoms. I'll feel a little bloated for a day or two and then suddenly I'm hit with severe cramps and nausea and pain. It usually goes away after a bm. Did you get any answers as to what may be causing it for you? Hope we can both figure this out soon!