• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does having IBD make you more irritable?

D

DannyB

Hye again folks,

This question has been on my mind for many years and now that I can ask fellow IBD sufferers, I was curious as to what you thought about whether or not you think you are more irritable with things after you were diagnosed with IBD? I can't really answer this personally because I have had it since I was a young pup but for peeps diagnosed at an age where you would know, whats your views?

Thanks

J

Jonny

Occasional Valentina calls me a Crank so mabye from time to time but mabye its just her view on me cause im a full blooded Irish dude?
When im Ill ive liked to be alone in the past and shut the world out until i get better.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
I think maybe some of the medications I was on made me more irritable, but I do not kow if the condition made me feel any different. Well I know it made me feel different ( I could hear the sounds from my stomach and feel the cramps :)) but I do not know if I was more irratible.

D

Donna

Well that's a good question. I can be a pure bitch when I want to...but it seems since being diagnosed, even the smallest little stress can make me nasty. I used to be able to handle things with a smile, but not since my first big flare. ANd when I flare I am nastier..but that could just be because I don't feel so hot. And I don't know if it is the IBD or me. And prednisone is a definite mood enhancer on the nasty end as well. When I am on that I wish I could hide in a cave cuz no matter how hard I try to control my mouth and what comes out of it (or how much food goes in!) I still say things I find myself apologizing for later on. People who know me say my tolerance has lowered, but then again, I am getting older too. So who knows. Interesting.

Donna

Tami Lynn

Forum Angel
I believe anytime a person is dealing with chronic pain and/or discomfort, regardless of where it comes from, it can make them seem to be short tempered and irritable. Then, with IBD there's the added aggravation of having to run to the bathroom a dozen or more times every day. It takes a lot of energy to deal with pain.

K

Kate

I think it can or so my hubby tells me im mostly good then suddenly bam and nothing he can do is right and he says i wasnt like that before the meds

I would say it definately has an impact on my mood. If I am having a good day, little pain, few bathroom trips I can be a whole other person.
But as soon as that cramping kicks in I want nothing to do with anyone. Pain makes me Mr.Grouch.

I'm finding that as I get older I'm getting less tolerant of fools and ignorant people. I've had to deal with a whole lot of crap in my life both physical and emotional and at times I've been absolutely ballistic. One of the worst times of my life was when I was on pred and I went psychotic.

My personal view is that as we get older, we learn, we absorb and we take on board a whole host of things and sometimes these things make us better, other times we just lose the plot.

But then, according to people who don't know me I'm a real bitch with attitude and a control freak. You try dealing with an adult with ADD and I defy anyone after 21 years not to end up as the 'parent.'

Anyway, bitch or not, I am moody because I suffer from depression and when I get grumpy I tend to take it out on myself or hubby.

When I am flaring you do not want to be around me because if you get on my nerves then you may be dead.

Just joking but I do get very irritable

Jeff

V

Valentina

my moods can be all over the place for sure. I find Im way more emotional now, and even more so right after a remicade infussion, and that can last a couple of weeks sometimes. And I would say prednisone was a very scary time for my family, lol
I have a really hard time focussing on things, my concentration is shot, and when my list of things to do is too long, I cant seem to do any of them. I would like to think I can blame the meds, and its not all me! lol

(Jonny calls me a nightmare.. so I guess my calling him a crank isnt so bad!)

E

ElaineH

Does IBD make me more irritable?

YES IT DOES!!! WHY ARE YOU EVEN ASKING ME THIS!! :evil:

:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :D

Sorry... couldn't resist! lol!

M

marco

ElaineH said:
Does IBD make me more irritable?

YES IT DOES!!! WHY ARE YOU EVEN ASKING ME THIS!! :evil:

:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :D

Sorry... couldn't resist! lol!

Elaine forgot to take her meds today :lol:

J

Jonny

I will add to my last post,people seem to think lately that i should always be the strong person just because im looking well when they see me etc.What they dont know is that i need to sleep and nap alot or im a walking zombie so those who dont know me that well think im all bright and bubbly and fine..Its so far from the truth but ive learnt to ignore it mostly now.So yes i get irritable from time to time but its down to feeling ill..sore heads,,sore tummy..sore bum..fistula etc and fevers.

IM NOT HEALTHY.
Ok rant over ..Have a good day all.

J

Janet

I think I have bitchy tendencies to begin with and Crohn's does nothing to help.

Dunno. Had CD since I was 9.
But I've been told I'm opinionated...
...Isn't that just another word for bitchy?...lol:p

T

Trixie329

I would say overall I am less grumpy. Mostly because having this has made me more empathetic to others and less judgemental which overall changed me from a snooty pesimist into someone I actually like ROFL ;)

M

Mozam

I'm quite an emotional guy normally anyway, but I do feel much more grumpy if I'm having a bad day with my stomach or my skin.

K

k-t

Well i think that i've always been a grumpy cow, however since my diagnosis i've become more grumpy and irritable lol!!!