• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does it sound like IBD?

I have had bowel issues for a long time.
I remember getting cramps so bad they doubled me over as a child (often caused from being cold and getting in to a hot car I noticed).
I started getting anal fissures from the age of 12. Fibre gel only made things worse. I used to take lactulose.
I've had IBS and cramps my whole life.
About 10 years ago, I got a major fissure that was about an inch long and very deep. It didn't heal and eventually formed skin tags that were uncomfortable. I had surgery to remove the tags.
I now take laxido (1 to 2 sachets a day) and cannot pass a stool that is formed without pain and bleeding. A finger is hard to fit, even when I don't have pain/swelling.

I tried healthy eating more recently and switched to seeded wholemeal bread. Within 5 days I was in so much pain (bloating/stabbing pains and bleeding when opening my bowels). I stopped the bread and within a week felt back to normal.
For testing sake, I have reintroduced brown bread.
I notice a couple of house after eating I am bloated and bubbling.
I'm on day 3 of eating brown bread (I am having 2 laxido every day). I have not passed a painful stool, however my anus is sore and swollen. When I clench, it is very painful.
My tummy is starting to feel more tender than just gassy.
I'm going to submit a stool sample tomorrow.
I wasn't sure if inflammation had to be present at the time of the stool sample for calprotectin levels to be present. I figured if I had symptoms and it comes back normal I would feel more assured.

My mum has diverticulitis and narrowing of the bowel, her mum had the same.

Any advice or guesses would be appreciated. Thank you

Hi there - have you had a colonoscopy? That would be something that would help diagnose if you have IBD.
Hi, did have a colonoscopy about 12 years ago and everything was OK.
I didn't have the symptoms I have now.
It sounds very much like perianal crohns.
Is it strange that I feel like I have inflammation around the area just from eating brown bread? I don't understand.
I thought before it was perhaps just a triggering of the fissures, but I've been sure to keep my Laxido increased and definitely haven't passed anything that's made me tear.
Yet I feel extremely sore as though I have.

my little penguin

Staff member
If it’s been 12 years then you need another colonoscopy
A lot of things can change in twelve years but wise
Also gluten intolerance or celiac or many other things can cause issues
Best to see a Gi who can run tests including colonoscopy to figure out what is going on

You can not determine Crohn’s disease or any Gi disease just by symptoms in the gut
Testing is needed

If it’s been 12 years then you need another colonoscopy
A lot of things can change in twelve years but wise
Also gluten intolerance or celiac or many other things can cause issues
Best to see a Gi who can run tests including colonoscopy to figure out what is going on

You can not determine Crohn’s disease or any Gi disease just by symptoms in the gut
Testing is needed
Hi thank you.
They said they want to do a stool sample and if calprotectin levels are high they'll refer for colonoscopy.
I'm also having general bloods done.
That's why I thought I was best to be eating my trigger food so tests have better chance of showing what's going on?
I have no clue

my little penguin

Staff member
So if seeds are the issue have you ever had a MRE or cte ?
Diverticulitis/diverticulosis can be little baby pouches that things can get stuck in such as seeds etc…

Of course there are other Gi issues that can cause things as well but
Seeds and pouches don’t mix