• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does pranayama cure ibd

Hello:) Just a thought...Here in India, a lot of emphasis has been laid on Pranayama being able to cure a lot of diseases like Cancer, Ulcerative Colitis, Aasthma etc. For those who dont know about Pranayam, it is a set of 7 breathing exercises (can be found in google if you search Pranayama). Also there are testimonials about how people have been cured of such diseases. Moreover medical reports have supported such cure.

What i am interested to know is that if Pranayam can help in curing Ulcerative Colitis then why not Crohn's. Has anyone ever tried it? Even if it does not cure and gets one into remission then i feel its not bad as being in remission is itself is a cure. Please help with your reviews and suggestions.

BECAUSE BEATING THIS HELL OF A DISEASE CALLED CROHN'S IS ONE OF MY AIM IN LIFE!!!:):)

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I have never heard of this, but it is interesting to see what can help individual people with lessening symptoms or helping to achieve tension. A cure, no, there isn't one yet, and I don't believe that breathing exercises will cure uc either. Stress can play a huge role in symptoms, and it is possible that these exercises help to reduce stress, which in turn help reduce symptoms.

Thanks for the reply :) But there are many people here who swear by the magic of pranayama. If you search in google about "pranayama and ulcerative colits" the first link would lead you to the number of testimonials about how people are cured by it. The pranayama here is an ancient practise but lost in modern age. But it has been revived in a huge way by Baba Ramdev and thousands of people have been known to benefit from it. Well i do understand that the sages and the babas cant be believed but there is no harm in believing in the methods. And i have full trust that this ancient practise would help.

Moreover i feel that our body is helped in functioning through our breathing. Breathing is a main source of energy which helps in maintaining body functioning. Oxygen is circulated throughout our inner body. Human body just utilises a very minimal amount of oxygen because we dont utilise the whole capacity of breath and most people are shallow breathers. So if we can master the art of breathing then maybe...just maybe we would be able to progress for the betterment :) But i do appreciate you point of view :)

I took the course it was great but as usual i cant manage to keep on doing ru
Routine stuff but its great. Dont know about curing but its very relaxing!

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello,

As said above, I dont think that this would cure any form of IBD. The symptoms of both crohns and UC are known to react to stress and so breathing techniques might be useful. They would help to relieve stress and maybe make us feel more positive about things.

However, it is important that we need to treat the illness itself as well as the symptoms, and I personally don't believe that this alone would be enough to reduce inflammation and repair pre-exisiting damage, so I think it would need to be used along side conventional treatments such as medications.

Pranayama is a meditation which is a form of human intention. Human intention can allow the body to heal if practiced enough.

"Energy goes where attention flows"

Giving the attention to ones self conserves energy and will not be wasted on external factors.

hi like the post. i do alot of chi breathing and buddhist meditation when im focused. there is something to this. i can control my heart rate with my breath, i also use astral projection when in a lot of pain which is achieved through deep meditation and breath. i will look this up. thanks for the post.

Hi plantluvr :):) I have read a lot of articles about chi breathing..when i used to show interest in martial arts that was a term i came to meet..With the practice of Chi breathing very experienced martial artist teachers were able to control the energy of their body functions. A lot of miraculous feats they could achieve. A documentary in History Channel had demonstrated how with the power of Chi an old master was able to push his rivals off even without touching them. And when asked by a master to a disciple to cut his wrists of with a sword, the disciple could just scratch the master's hand because the master was able to control himself with the power of Chi. Even Bruce Lee was a great advocate of Chi breathing :) Chi is the inner energy which is called "Prana" in Indian history from which comes the word "Pranayama". Hope we all get rid of Crohn's and purify us with the power of breath energy :)

Last edited:
Pranayama is a meditation which is a form of human intention. Human intention can allow the body to heal if practiced enough.

Giving the attention to ones self conserves energy and will not be wasted on external factors.
A lovely post :) See, things like this gives a lot of hope and encouragement to many in achieving the impossible in life...appreciate your reply :) Further to this i remember reading somewhere that the body itself can cure many diseases if given care,time and dedication. Thanks once again :)

i am a martial artist hence where i learned chi breathing. and the martial art that bruce lee first learned from grandmaster ip man. when i train it is amazing how healthy it makes you. my main issue is focus and discipline to do it everyday. but im working on it. been training kung fu 11 years on and off. the on time i believe healed my crohns. time off i get sick. diet is also very important to me. bless you for posting this! a little story about kung fu and the ability to heal. i was driving one morning going about 55 mph and blacked out while driving. i had ran a red light and hit a truck. i felt my neck tense up and went straight home and did kung fu for 2 hours. i didnt get whiplash and no soreness the next day. i healed myself. it worked! not having a open mind is most peoples downfall. bless you!

I went and searched about Human Intention and could come up with a few of many success stories :) Here they are :
1)Human Intentions and Muscle Building

Performed by: Guang Yue
Exercise Psychologist at Cleveland Clinic Foundation in Ohio

Experiment Details: Subjects between the ages of 20 and 35
imagined flexing their biceps as hard as they could during daily
sessions completed 5 times a week.

Results: Without ever physically flexing their biceps during these
sessions, a 13.5% increase in muscle size and strength was
recorded after just a few weeks.

2)Human Intentions and Remote Healing

Performed by: Dr. Elizabeth Targ, Stanford University.

Experiment Details: Over 150 studies regarding remote
healing have been performed with varying degrees of
success. Elizabeth Targ devised a pair of highly controlled
studies, in which 40 remote healers across USA were
shown to improve the health of terminal AIDS patients,
without ever meeting or being in contact with the patients.

3)Intention that Heals Disease

Performed by: Cecil B. Kidd

Experiment Details: One significant example of the power of intention dealt
with a group of people with a rare illness called Ichthyosiform Erythroderma,

most widely known as fish-skin disease, because it causes fish-like scales all over the body. Five of these patients were hypnotized and told to visualize the
skin on their body returning to normal.

Results: After only a few weeks, 80% of the skin of each patient's body had
healed.

4)Human Intention and Survival

Performed by: Herbert Benson - Cardiologist at Harvard Medical School

Experiment Details: In 1985, a group of Tibetan monks were put into a
room with temperatures approaching freezing, while a fellow monk
draped them in cold, wet sheets. These severe conditions would
normally send the body into shock, the core temperature plummeting,
and result in a loss of consciousness and vital signs after only a 12
degree drop in body temperature.

Instead of trembling from the cold, the monks began to sweat, causing
steam to rise from the sheets. In an hour they were dry, and two other
ice-cold, wet sheets were placed on the monks, one after another - both
were quickly dried by the heat generated by the monks.

Results: Herbert Benson and his team of scientists found that these
monks had raised their temperatures by up to 17°F and lowered their
metabolism by more than 60%.

They had done all of this with the power of their thoughts and intentions.

So mate, because of you and people like you on this forum my belief that we all will be able to cure ourselves one day soon consolidates my strength every time:):) And i really believe that human body, a creation of God is more advanced than all the doctors put into work. So i have enough belief in the miracles of God...