• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does Propofol make you feel good ?

Okay, I had a colonoscopy on Thursday, 8/21. The procedure went well. I had no side effects. As a matter of fact, not too long after I got home I was cleaning house! I suffer from arthritis in my neck and hips. I have back problems and joint disease in my left shoulder. I was not feeling any of my bad symptoms with these other health issues. The next day, Friday, I stayed home, but I still felt good. Then on Saturday I went out to run some errands and I still felt good. I rarely feel good. I always have neck pain or hip pain or shoulder pain or whatever. So, for three days I felt really good. But, unfortunately on Sunday I woke up and I felt crappy, as usual - - very tired and sleepy and aches and pains. What a bummer. I felt the same way today,
Monday, August 25th. Do you think the Propofol could have made me feel good for those three days ? I mean, it was so out of the ordinary for me to feel GOOD ! Now I feel crappy again and I am irritated and grouchy. Can propofol reduce pain ? Thanks for listening. Any opinions or answers or ideas would be totally welcomed. :)

My guess, and it's just a wild guess, is that your feeling better had more to do with your altered gut microbiome from the cleanout rather than the propofol.

From what I understand, one of the big benefits of propofol is its short half-life. In other words, the concentration of the drug falls off really fast.

So that would have me looking elsewhere for reasons for your burst of awesome. If you really wanted to test the theory, you could do another cleanout, and see if that has any effect, but I doubt it would be worth the agony!

If my theory is right (once your normal gut biome comes back to full intensity, it causes your arthritis), then I might suggest that you could stretch out your feeling good spell by disrupting your normal (pathogenic?) microbiome. How? With a transpoosion (a.k.a. FMT). Shocking if it's the first you've heard of it, I know, but what wouldn't any of us do to feel better?

7vNH: I LOVED WHAT YOU WROTE !

I DID NOT KNOW WHAT FMT WAS, SO I HAD TO LOOK IT UP. WOW, DO PEOPLE REALLY DO THAT ? I HAVE LEARNED A LOT SINCE I SIGNED UP HERE ON THIS WEBSITE !

PS: YEAH, I DON'T THINK I WANT TO DO THE MOVIEPREP CLEANOUT THING AGAIN
JUST SO I CAN FEEL "AWESOME".

I WAS HAVING A CRYING JAG BEFORE I READ THIS POST ( MY MOMS FUNERAL IS THIS WEEKEND ), BUT YOUR POST HAS MADE MY MOOD A LOT LIGHTER.

OKAY, I HAD TO READ YOUR POST THREE TIMES BEFORE I "GOT"
THE "TRANSPOOSION" PART. :)

TAKE CARE AND KEEP SHARING YOUR WISDOM.

OMG. I have never heard of that EVER- FMT... And I'm not quit sure how I freaking feel about it.
Yeah, it can be a bit of a shock. But if you think about it as a probiotic, it's not so bad. Once you start to become familiar and comfortable with the fact that each of us harbors our own set of micribiota, and that we have built this stable mix of typically helpful partners from the day we came into the world, it might become more "sane" to try and adopt a mix of microbes that is not pathogenic.