• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does she have Crohn's?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated. My daughter is eleven. Three weeks ago she was became sick at home on a Sunday morning. She had a 102.3 fever and my husband took her to the dr office where she threw up twice. The dr. Said it was probably a virus and sent her home. When I got home that evening around 8:45pm she was feeling pretty rough still. All day after the dr visit she had had a rusty maroon colored diarrhea and no more vomiting. Her fever was still up so I gave her some Tylenol and around ten she went on to bed. At about 2:30am she went through my room to go to my bathroom and get in the shower. All of the sudden I heard a loud thud and hollered her name. When she didn't answer I got up and went to check on her. I accidentally hit her with the bathroom door and it roused her and she was able to move away from it. She had passed out in the bathroom!!! I checked her temp and her blood pressure and called her dr. (I am a nursing student and will have my RN in May). I took her to the ER and they admitted her for dehydration. They got a sample of her stool and it was more blood than stool. She stayed for four days and the doctors never even called a GI doctor. I finally requested one before we left the hospital and he ordered a lot of tests. I told him that my husbands first cousin has Crohn's disease and he said that it was possible that this was crohns. They tested her for rota virus E. coli shigella and all the other big ticket bacterias and they all came back negative. her c reactive protein was 5.5 and her esr was 16 and her calprotectin was 538.8. She is scheduled to go back to the GI dr on the 1st of April. Is he going to tell us she has crohns? Could it have been a virus that they didn't detect? Could it be something else?? I wonder if a stomach virus can cause your calprotectin level to be that high??

No the GI doctor said if he did one right then while she was having those GI issues it would just look just like crohns so he wanted to allow the gut to heal some first so he put her on flagyl and Prilosec and culturelle for a month and said that he wanted to see her April 1st and we would talk about it then. He didn't have the calprotectin test back then... It came back last week on the patient portal with her hospital record.

I'm so worried about her. I have IBS and she has always had a "weak" stomach. She can be in the middle of a meal and just see someone smacking their food or talking about something gross and she loses her appetite. She is super skinny too just 11th percentile for weight.

Did they test for c diff? Doubt that's it, but thinking of all possibility. If its crohns the way you describe the color of the blood I would guess its from her small intestines. Flagyl is a good start. Hopefully it will calm things down a bit. If things don't turn around in a few days, or she gets worse go back to the hospital. MLP makes a good suggestion to look at the Parents forum. A lot of us post there so you may find more answers there. Sorry to hear of your struggles.