• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does this sound like Crohn's?

A while back, I had a colonoscopy for having red blood in my stool. The colonoscopy couldn't find anything wrong so the doctor said it was probably just anal fissures/hemorrhoids. A while after that, I had diarrhea for about 7 days and then it went away (the stool still had form, it was just really soft). Now, a good couple months after that, I will have diarrhea ONCE a week one time a day (still has form, just way softer than normal).

I don't know what causes it and honestly I eat the same food all week long so if it was an allergic reaction wouldn't I have diarrhea all week long?

But if it was Chrons wouldn't it be caused by inflammation of the intestines and thus occur constantly?

I'm confused, please provide some input.
I'm a 19 year old male with some anxiety problems..

(I'm new to the forum and don't know if this is where the question goes. I apologize if this is completely in the wrong spot.)

Welcome to forums :)

I'm sorry for what you are experiencing. When exactly was your last colonoscopy?
Did you do other tests like CT scan or blood tests? Is there's any other symptoms or just the diarrhea ? Are you on any medication that has the side effect of diarrhea?

hi,

by what your saying i doubt if you have crohns - with crohns the diarrhea is pretty consistant during a flair up, if you was in a flair up it wouldnt last just a day also you would get pain and many other symptoms, not of which you have said about.

is it possible this one day attack is just where your anxiety is kicking in ?

also you say the colonoscopy was clear - this wouldnt be the case with crohns (70% detection).

if you really want to check then take it up with your doctor - i personally would be more inclined to try and sort out the anxierty issues first and see if that helps, also inquire about a capsule endoscopy, this goes all the way through the digestive tract.

all the best

N.

Last edited:
A clear colonoscopy doesn't rule out crohns, because CD can show up any where from your mouth to anus, a colonoscopy can only go through colon and first part of small intestine so if the inflammation was higher up the doc wouldn't see it with a colonoscopy. Were there any other tests carried out? Are you experiencing fatigue, pain, still blood in bowel movements? If this is causing anxiety maybe you should return to the gi doc with a list of your on going symptoms. Explain that you want to get to the bottom of the issues to Aleve your anxiety which you feel is adversely affecting your health. It could honestly be a mild case of gi issues easily resolved. You have to be your own health advocate if you feel something isn't right keep pushing for answers.
I'm sure someone with more experienced advice will stop by shortly with their opinion and can hopefully ease your anxiety. Also you may want to take a look around the undiagnosed club subforum on this site. You will find the support on this site outstanding!

It doesn't sound anything like my symptoms !
But the more you read on this site,the more you realise we are all different,but the same !!

I agree with Clash. A clear colonoscopy does not rule out crohns. I had a clear colonoscopy a couple months before an emergency resection of the small bowel. The scope just doesn't get all the way up in there.

Perhaps a good start is a food diary detailing what you eat, your bowel movements and your stress level. Maybe you will see some patterns?

Hi!

You say the diarrhoea happens once a week - does it happen on the same day each week?

Could it be related to diet? If you work regular hours does it relate to that, either anxiety or diet-wise? (For example, some people who work regular office hours complain of bad headaches at the weekend, which has been put down to caffeine withdrawal, as they drink coffee at work then have none/less at the weekend.)

I would think this would be a classic case where a food/activity diary would be helpful for you to identify any factors that could be causing this. I keep one of these, and it has helped me to relate stress to my condition, and to find that my diet doesn't seem to make any difference.
I make a note of exactly what I've eaten and drunk, a brief description of stools (how many, how soft, any blood, any urgency - I use a code/symbols for this, so other people don't know what it is!) and short notes about what happened or what I did that day, and what my mood was like.
I originally started doing the last part of this because of mild depression which turned out to have a hormonal cause, so I could relate it to my monthly cycle. Later, when I started with my bowel symptoms I was able to look back and see two particularly stressful events (husband's health) which corresponded with the problems I had shortly after each event.

It certainly wouldn't do any harm to give it a try. Good luck!