• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does your enteral/elemental nutrition contain choline?

David

Co-Founder
Thanks littlemissh! How many ml of feed do you take per day?

I ask because my research today took me to choline and I'm always curious to see if enteral/elemental nutrition contains essential nutrients. One, because if something was missing I'd want people to know, and two, I theorize that's why these feeds work so well at reducing symptoms/inducing remission/maintaining remission: people get the nutrients they usually lack.

Hi David,
VivonexPlus, the EN that I used, contains 66.7mg of choline per 300ml serving, which has 300 calories.
I'm curious to know why you want to know!

Hey littlemissh, how is it going? Awhile back, I saw that you were getting a bit frustrated with your progress. Any better now? Have the medical problems settled so that you may be able to try some food in the near future?

David

Co-Founder
Thanks Happy!

How many servings do you have per day?

I explained my reason for asking in the post above. I should have explained in my initial post. I have a bad habit about not explaining sometimes, sorry about that! I'll try to break that habit.

I looked at the bag containing my TPN solution but it doesn't list everything that goes into it, just the base solution so I don't know if mine contains choline or not.

If you'd like, I can always call up and find out what exactly I'm getting through my TPN.

kiny

Elemental 028 is a very popular EN from Nutricia, I don't use it though, it's quite expensive

(I think SarahD uses it, she knows more about it)

(I live in Belgium, not sure why I got the UK site, but it's popular here too, pretty much anything Nutricia is popular in Europe)

http://nutricia.co.uk/files/uploads/documents/Elemental_028_Extra.pdf

Only their boxed drink Elemental shows the %, it's 18.3 per 100ml, I assume it's the same in their powdered packages.

Their powdered form has no maltodextrin, while their drinks do.

Hi David,
When I was on EN I had 4 servings per day. However, I now realize that it wasn't enough as I continued to lose weight the whole time that I was on it. So, I was getting about 270mg of choline a day. Not enough according to the chart in the wiki. I also now believe that recent worsening of my brain function and fatigue was due to chronic malnutrition. I was still losing weight until Feb., with a quick five pound loss at the end, before I began to gain weight in March. So, I was losing weight for two years before I started to maintain/gain.

Now that I can eat more food, particularly veggies and fruits, my brain function and fatigue is much better the past two months. (I also don't need to gain any more weight!)

Thanks for continuing to do all of your sleuthing for us David. Whenever I learn more from your research, I make sure that I am eating the foods that contain all of the nutrients that I may be low in. I believe that it has greatly improved my brain function and fatigue the last two months, despite blood levels not showing much deficiency or improvement.

David,
I was on 2,500 ml per day, now on 1,500ml. And I second the thanks for your sleuthing!!

Happy,
I still am on enteral feeding but struggling to increase volume probably related to duodenal or small bowel obstruction. Not been posting updates as I am a bit cheesed with progress and don't want to be a whinger on here. So just getting on with focussing on the good things in life and attempting to ignore the beast within.
I have even done a bit of work these last 3 weeks much to my medical teams distress- it gives my gastro a headache just thinking about it apparently!:)
But though pushed me beyond my physical limits, its been great for my mental wellbeing and i have really enjoyed myself. Going to have a short break again and do some more in september.

How are you?

Tesscorm

Staff member
David,

Stephen is on Tolerex and nutritional label shows 12.3 mg/packet. He is on 5 packets per night, 5 nights per week.

http://www.nestle-nutrition.com/Pro...roductId=bc535404-a19e-4c6f-8558-90eaf6a5556f

Wow, just looked up the daily requirements on the Wiki and see Stephen is only receiving approx. 1/10th of what he needs from EN!!! And his ALT and AST levels have recently elevated! Glad you brought this up, will be trying to up his levels!

A bit off topic but... THANKS for all the work and effort you put in here! It's always much, much appreciated! :D

Hey littlemissh,
Glad to hear that you were able to do something good for your mental health. But knowing you, you probably went above and beyond most human's limits!! Glad to hear that you are also now taking a break. I sure hope that the universe has full healing for you on it's to do list for September. It is time that you caught a break. And you never whinge.

I am doing well! Overdid things this past spring and paid for it--now finding a balance and on an upward trend. Back swimming a few times a week, but for a much shorter time. Really living in the moment as I continue to improve my strength and endurance.

Tesscorm

Staff member
I should have specified, the quantities I mentioned are his maintenance dose (1500 cal/night x 5 nights/wk), when he was on exclusive, he was getting:

10 packets per night (@ 12.3 mg choline per pack) x 7 nights per week

:)