• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Donating Blood

Today I donated blood. There was not one question about having Crohns! Please DO NOT make the mistake I made. I have been very sick all day. I passed out 3x, my blood pressure dropped so low that my husband almost called 911. I have diarrhea with blood all day with cramps. I take Lialda every day and my Crohn's has been completely under control--until today. Please, don't do it!!!!!

Today I donated blood. There was not one question about having Crohns! Please DO NOT make the mistake I made. I have been very sick all day. I passed out 3x, my blood pressure dropped so low that my husband almost called 911. I have diarrhea with blood all day with cramps. I take Lialda every day and my Crohn's has been completely under control--until today. Please, don't do it!!!!!
I am so sorry for what happened to you. Hope you are better soon.

Lynda Lynda

Barbara : I agree with you. Years ago I made the mistake of donating blood on a regular basis because I thought I was "doing something good." Well, later on in life I became anemic. And then I also had to have a blood transfusion. Wishing you comfort and healing in the days to come. Take Care.

I’m sorry and I hope you feel better soon! I was told in no uncertain terms to stop giving blood a little before I was diagnosed. I don’t know if things are different here in the UK, but we’re not allowed to for a few weeks after a scope no matter what it’s for, or once we have a Crohn’s diagnosis no matter how mild/severe. It’s judged on a case by case basis for those of us on immunosuppressants.

I don’t know if the above are recent as I was giving blood in my late teens (I’m 26 now) and it’s only when I tried to re-start again a couple of years ago I was point blank refused.

It seems as though maybe more safeguarding is required elsewhere. I hope you can rest up and get your strength back, let us know how you are x