• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Don't feel my doctor is keeping me well informed

After over a year on Remicade with no effect and a partial colectomy, I am now on Entivio. Just got my first infusion less than a week ago. I am puzzled that I was not told the side effects or the possible dangers of this drug by my gastroenterologist. If the drug works I have major complaint, but being summarily thrust into this treatment only a week after my last Remicade treatment caused a lot of discomfort and a high fever for a few days afterward. since it had already been decided by my gastroenterologist that Remicade was not working, should I have had that last infusion? Should the new drug have been introduced so quickly? I feel I am getting the run around. I would appreciate a recommendation for a gastroenterologist in the Annapolis area so I get a second opinion and perhaps put my fears to rest.

Did you ask your Gi for a sheet on the possible side effects etc on the drug ?
I assume you had schedule the new drug infusion as well .. Did they give you a sheet on side effects then or when to call etc???
Both are different drugs similar to taking Tylenol and the taking Advil two different drugs that can at times do the same thing and can be taken close together .

Entivo needs a very long time to become effective ( many months )is your doctor placing you ok bridge therapy until it becomes effective .

Fevers are common with flares /crohns and remicade infusions in general - that is why some places give you Tylenol during the infusion

Second opinions are always a good idea
But since you have questions - call your Gi and ask to speak to the doctor directly - that you are confused
Most docs will call you back when you ask to speak to them directly

Did your doctor discuss any potential side effects of Entyvio before starting the treatment?

I know from other forum members that many do experience side effects after the infusions and you may find it helpful to read about their experiences here in the Entyvio support group.

I'd second Mr Chicken's view that you also need an appropriate bridge therapy like steroids or enteral nutrition to treat the inflammation while Entyvio gets to therapeutic levels.

If you're not comfortable with the treatment you're receiving then a second opinion is a very good idea.

Good luck! Hope you're feeling better soon :ghug:

After over a year on Remicade with no effect and a partial colectomy, I am now on Entivio. Just got my first infusion less than a week ago. I am puzzled that I was not told the side effects or the possible dangers of this drug by my gastroenterologist. If the drug works I have major complaint, but being summarily thrust into this treatment only a week after my last Remicade treatment caused a lot of discomfort and a high fever for a few days afterward. since it had already been decided by my gastroenterologist that Remicade was not working, should I have had that last infusion? Should the new drug have been introduced so quickly? I feel I am getting the run around. I would appreciate a recommendation for a gastroenterologist in the Annapolis area so I get a second opinion and perhaps put my fears to rest.
My doctor is the same way. I feel they are pulling at straws. my colon rectal surgeon.(seton), is an arrogant and rude man. I'm in tears everytime I leave his office. Just got off remicade in feb.....almost killed me. Just started Entyvio this month. We shall see. I cannot live with these setons in me!

That sucks, Granmolly! My GI gave me a handout and made sure he answered all my questions. I also got a big run down of the side effects and what to watch for when I went in for my first infusion on Entyvio last week. I would think that they would want a larger washout period from the Remicade than just a week, as I have always had to wait 8-10 weeks when switching from one biologic to another.

I would encourage you to read the Entyvio forum here, and also to visit the Entyvio site and read all about the drug there. Your doctor definitely should have explained more, though I do also feel that we as patients have the responsibility to ask questions and do some research as well.