• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Don't know what to eat when feeling good

I'm in remission after just being diagnosed with Crohn's. I'm feeling almost normal now (except for some bloating and gas) and want to eat everything. I've tried a food diary but can't figure out if any foods are causing me trouble and I don't know how to tell what my trigger foods are. Now that I'm in remission I feel like I can handle everything and I don't need to worry about my diet!

cmack

Staff member
Trigger foods trigger trouble during a flare and sometimes they do it all the time. It may be possible to eat some of the things that used to bother you when not in remission now that you are more well though. I would just use common sense and proceed with caution, I think you just have to find the right foods that work for you with careful experimentation. You also may want to speak to a dietician if one is available. Good luck, I'm vegetarian by the way, but I don't push it on others. It's not for everyone. If you happen to be interested in plant based whole food nutrition you can pm me and I could give you some suggestions though. My GP has taught me a lot.

make of it what you will.......

Bowel Disease, Part II: Healing the Gut By Eliminating Food Toxins

"Summary of Toxic Foods to Eliminate or Avoid

In short, bowel disease patients should eliminate toxic foods from their diet:

Eliminate all grains except rice.
- Wheat, oats, and corn, and their products such as wheat flour, cornstarch, bread, and pasta, must be eliminated.
Eliminate all legumes, especially soy, beans, and peanuts.
Eliminate omega-6 rich oils, such as soybean oil, safflower oil, corn oil, peanut oil, and canola oil.
Eliminate fructose sugars, except from fruits and berries. Drink no sugar-containing beverages.
Minimize fiber to keep down gut bacterial populations and avoid mechanical injuries to the intestinal wall.
Minimize other potentially toxic protein sources. In general, protein should be obtained from animal and fish meats, not eggs, dairy, or plants. However, fats from dairy and eggs are highly desirable.

When gut health is restored, dairy and fiber may be restored to the diet. However, the major toxic foods – grains, legumes, omega-6-rich oils, and most fructose – should be eliminated for life.

Filling the Gaps in the Diet
For most people, eliminating grains will leave a large gap in the diet. Foods that should be used to fill that gap include:

Healthful plant foods are the safe starches, such as white rice, taro, sweet potatoes and yams, and fruits and berries.
Saturated-fat rich oils and fats, like beef tallow, clarified butter, coconut oil, palm oil, cocoa butter (yes, chocolate desserts are healthy!), along with modest quantities of olive oil and lard. Make homemade salad dressings with these oils, rather than buying supermarket dressings made with soybean or canola oil.
Further balance the omega-6 to omega-3 ratio by eating low-omega-6 meats, such as the red meats (beef and lamb) and seafood, and eating 1 lb per week salmon or sardines for fresh omega-3 fats.

When the small intestine is damaged, fatty foods may be difficult to tolerate, since the enzymes that digest dietary fats and proteins may also digest human cells. In such cases the diet must focus on starchy foods like rice until bowel health is restored. Be sure to
supplement with vitamins and minerals in such cases."

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/0...i-healing-the-gut-by-eliminating-food-toxins/

Wheat Is A Cause of Many Diseases, I: Leaky Gut
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/10/wheat-is-a-cause-of-many-diseases-i-leaky-gut/

Last edited:
I've got the same disease as you as well and when I'm in remission, I have Gorilla diet for humans . It sounds funny, but really helps me! It consists of eating avocado, berries and whole grains. Try it, it's very delicious!

Lynda Lynda

Trigger foods trigger trouble during a flare and sometimes they do it all the time. It may be possible to eat some of the things that used to bother you when not in remission now that you are more well though. I would just use common sense and proceed with caution, I think you just have to find the right foods that work for you with careful experimentation. You also may want to speak to a dietician if one is available. Good luck, I'm vegetarian by the way, but I don't push it on others. It's not for everyone. If you happen to be interested in plant based whole food nutrition you can pm me and I could give you some suggestions though. My GP has taught me a lot.
I didn't know you were vegetarian.
I was an "ovo-lacto" vegetarian in my early 30's.
It was the best I ever felt.
Lost weight.
Even exercised.