• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Don't take meds for fear of damaging other organs

Hello new to the site. Have had Crohn's for a few years. Refuse to take meds. Does anyone else not take meds. Was on mialda then Asacol. Meds made my heart race, and just didn't feel right

nogutsnoglory

Yes there is a risk taking meds but the flip side is not taking them you possibly risk severe damage. I wish you the best outcome.

I was on Methotrexate and was terrified that it would damage my liver. I mean I was having a blood test every week for months. It has to be dangerous I figured. So I got on LDN instead. No side effects to speak of. So, I didn't quit ALL drugs, just a bad one.

I wish there was a blog about Crohn's and holistic medicine. I have yet to start a medication regimen for my CD, however I have read that Bosweilla is a great herbal supplement for inflammation. Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Please reply!!

I've had Crohn's for about a year & a half... They put me on pentasa, which made my stomach even worse. So I quit taking them. I'm taking all natural vitamins & probiotics. My stomach has been doing better since I've quit the pentasa. But my doc says I have a mild case... So it might be different with someone who has it worse then me. I hope you find something that helps!

Bonzo I take a multivitamin and exercise 4-5 times a week but I have been off pharmaceuticals for over a month and with Rick Simpson oil I have been in remission for that time period so I agree with you. Also my mother has UC and growing up watching her take upwards of 15 pills a day and the impact they had on her body from 20 years of use made me make the decision I did and it is one I will never look back from.

That's all I take too. A multivitamin with added iron & probiotic. I have 2 small children, they keep me on my feet 24/7 so I call that my exercise. lol I still have stomach pain sometimes, but I think it's when I get too stressed out. I haven't had Crohn's for too long so I'm not even sure if I'm in remission ...

If crohn's goes untreated you can get scarring of your intestines which makes it difficult for your body to absorb nutrients. I'm worried this has happened to me from years of trying to avoid the doctor when I didn't have health insurance. This wasn't a choice I made I just couldn't afford it and thankfully didn't end up in a hospital.

Whatever you do don't skip doctor checkups. You need a professional monitoring your condition to track any progress or flare ups. Those visits may not be fun, but they are vital to ensuring you don't end up with significant sections of your intestine surgically removed.

PsychoJane

I wish there was a blog about Crohn's and holistic medicine. I have yet to start a medication regimen for my CD, however I have read that Bosweilla is a great herbal supplement for inflammation. Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Please reply!!
I took boswellia serrata for a few months in hope to treat my crohn. I never saw an actually difference but keep in mind my symptoms are not "classical". I have a stoma and my usual symptoms are excessive tiredness and fistula. I can't say it has done nothing for me. I am just believing that the range of action of boswellia is more like the of 5-ASA type of medication. That said, it would have hardly been able to cut it for the type of CD I have.

Placebo effect only brings forth a feeling of well being with no real concrete results, I do not know if Boswellia is in any way effective I know that MMJ when used correctly has a profound effect which is backed up by empirical scientific data found in small controlled studies.

Melly I think that if you were in a flare particularly a bad flare, you would know, bad flares are not to sound like I am joking but bad flares are a think of legend in terms of how bad they can make you feel. If your only symptom is sporadic stomach cramping I without the big D or other symptoms then I would say your in remission BUT this being said I would go to a doctor to confirm this before listening to any of use concretely.

ALSO IF YALL DON'T KNOW WEEDS PART 2 10:00 tonight on CNN WATCH IT!!!! Learn from it discuss it.

I wish I could get my hands on some medical marijuana! Haha I don't think my Crohn's is bad enough to get a script. I'm not sure if Chicago area even has any dispensaries yet anyways...

To my knowledge you can get certified for mmj in Illinois though, I can not find any dispensaries in the leafly.Com dispensary look up for within 50 miles of Chicago. I think your just going to have to wait it out because they should be coming soon to a location near you.