• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Double Edged Sword.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
This is a response I gave to a very dear friend and I know they won't mind if I share it publicly. This is where I find myself now that Roo has left home.

Crohns is a Double edged sword. You have surgery and the diseased part of the bowel is removed and if you are like Roo it throws you into remission. For all intents and purposes you don't have Crohns. Roo was told and continues to be told to eat as much fat and salt and possible because she has short bowel syndrome. Does she eat fast food? at times yes but not frequently. Could she eat better? definitely. She is at a time in her life where I have little control and I find it hard as I know there are many things she is doing wrong related to her Crohns but what do I do other than advise without nagging to avoid risking alienation. I guess the only thing I can hope and pray for is she gets through this time of her life without a flare and reaches a point where her health becomes more of a focus. I don't know how long this will take and I do believe she is taking the first steps but I would be foolish to think it's going to be any time soon. An 18 year old with Crohns, and in remission, is no different to one without Crohns, they are invincible.

She was home this weekend and she is so happy with everything in her life - where she is living, university, the course she is studying and where her interest in politics is taking her. This is fantastic and as it should be, so what's wrong with it, with me? ........................................ bloody Crohns.

Dusty. :)

Hi dustykat,

I am glad that Roo is happy with her life and her studies. As parents the only thing we can really do is make sure that they know that we are there for them if and when needed and do a lot of praying in the process. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Roo

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
She was home this weekend and she is so happy with everything in her life - where she is living, university, the course she is studying and where her interest in politics is taking her. This is fantastic and as it should be, so what's wrong with it, with me? ........................................ bloody Crohns.
Dusty. :)
You're a mother who loves her daughter very much!!! That's what's wrong with you!! Four years of remission may as well be thirty to an 18 yr old. In that time she's gone from a child to a young woman. She's finding her own legs but she'll never use them to walk away from you. Of that I'm certain!! She probably will have a crohns bounce someday and I think you know that!!! She has you in that head of hers so when she does, she's gonna do the right thing. Just like she has been doing with the chills issue. She's your girl Dusty and nothing could prepare her better than that!!