• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Double insurance

So will they catch on?

• No they wont

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Oh yeah they will

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So I'm 24 years old and have been paying my own insurance plan now for a few years threw work and will be again for 2010. In the state of NH I can stay on my parents insurance plan till the age of 26, so on that note my parents are going to put me back on their plan (doesnt cost them anything extra). So now I will have double insurance coverage for the year of 2010 and the catch is its the same company just different plans! This will be nice because you all know how expensive it can get.

So how long do you think it will take for the insurance company to catch on? Mind you I wont be on their plan anymore then a year due to getting married.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
If they use your Social Security number as a reference, you are probably out of luck....Is this illegal??? Are you being fraudulent in some way?? Many people have double coverage especially spouses. Out here Health Plan of Nevada is a major carrier and most employers use it, so it's possible to have double coverage. For example, if both spouses work for the school district.

I guess it could be illegal but they are still getting their money. Honestly can you get any more fraudelent then a insurance company??

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Well, if you are paying for both policy's, and you are not breaking some protocol...I don't see a problem.

Having two insurance plans from the same company through different sources is completely legal, at least in california. There is no reason for you to be unable to have the same company insure you twice with two plans if you are eligible (unless there is a law against it). Basically insurance companies make money by insuring more people and paying out less than they take in. Their model relies on getting masses of people, albeit they desire healthy people who rarely cost that much for treatments. Sometimes their greed leads to benefits for people like us who really need it and use it, assuming you are willing to fight for your rights (no beastie boys references please).

I am not familiar with the regulations regarding this arrangement in your state, but I am guessing that at some point your parents insurer is going to ask them, or you, if your have coverage already.

My insurance would cover our children as long as they were in college up to a certain age, but they were forever asking if they still were students, or had other insurance coverage. Plenty of forms to send in every few months.

If that is the case, they will likely not pay a claim anyway. They are pretty good at not paying for one reason or another.

I guess I would not pay for employer insurance if I had coverage already, but I do not know the details.

I think they will ask.

Dan

D bergy my state use to be like that until a year maybe two years ago with covering kids after high school or the age of 18. But there was a student that had a chronic illness going to college but was to sick to stay in class but had to stay in class to keep her coverage. Sadly lost her life because she couldnt get proper treatment because she was in school. I think it use to be the age of 21 or still in school but now its just set to the age of 26.

That is a sad story Skinny!

I'm wondering though - for instance - if I had two insurance policies, that means two deductibles I would have to meet every year. If that is how it would be with you - then it seems maybe that wouldn't be cost efficient to do as you would have to meet a bigger threshold of out of pocket expenses before you would receive 100% payout right? After I pay out $1,500 for the year - everything else I do (with the exception of the $20 copay each visit) is payed for in full.