• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Dr. or PA returns calls

I'm just wondering who calls you back when you try to reach your doctor - the doctor himself or the PA in the office.
I am trying to reach my doctor for the last 10 days. When I call the office, the PA returns the calls and I'd rather speak to my doc than the PA. He's associated with a hospital so I found his email address on the hospital's website so I emailed him but no response. I then faxed my email to his office and still no response.
I'm at a loss for what to do because I would like to speak to him about some issues that I am having before my next appt so that he can try to have some solutions by then.
Sorry for the vent, I'm just very annoyed at him right now!

Generally, when I call about an issue with my son, I speak with the GI nurse(she is an NP). I give her the pertinent info and she relays it to the GI. Depending on situation, he will either relay response information to me through her or call us in to speak with him.

I wish I could talk to the PA! I have never ever been able to get a callback from anyone but the nurse.
At least for me and probably for most other people who have hospital doctors it's virtually impossible to talk to the doctor him/herself on the phone. It's just won't happen. Accept it and build a good relationship with the PA, who will act as a good liaison between you and your very busy doctor who is probably running around the hospital seeing a thousand people, doing colonoscopies, checking on inpatients, etc.

So basically I should get used to talking to my doctor only at my appointment and have all other conversations with the PA?

That's basically how I see it! The nurse who does all the phone business for my GI has been there for the past two years at least and is really sweet and good at being the go between. Whether it's the doctor's nurse or PA, whoever is doing the phone calls is experienced and is close with the doctor, so you can be pretty confident that the info will get relayed correctly from you and to you!

When I was in hospital abd the GI had a pa I'd prefer to deal with the pa. The GI would come in for exam and ask important question in person and answer mine. But in some cases a GI can have poor bedside manners.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
When I've called the doctor's office I've always gotten a nurse and the same nurse called me back with the info from the doctor. We'll see what happens now that I'm changing insurances at the end of the year...

I'm in the UK so maybe it is different here but I have spoken to my consultant several times on the telephone - their care for us shouldn't be limited to the times we are sitting in their office at an appointment, and you can't choose when you need help. I don't like disclosing medical information to the PA, and I don't think we should have to. Remember though that doctors are busy people, I always let the PA know if the problem is urgent or if I'm happy to wait a few days for a call back. I'd keep calling if I were you, and don't be embarrassed to tell them straight that you want to speak to the doctor rather than the PA.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
One thing that I've liked and will miss is that I've been able to email back and forth to my doctors directly. Not sure what it'll be like with this new insurance...

I usually get a return call from the nurse, which is okay because we've been together with my CD for 26 yrs. She has been with me thru 2 differant GIs and we have become very good friends. I never worry about not getting a return call from her and she gets answers back to me right away.