• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Draining Seton -- lots of pain normal?

Hi all!

I've been dealing with perianal crohn's the last two years, specifically anal fissures. In the last 6 months though I developed an abscess which led to a fistula. I was put on Imuran & Humira which actually seemed to heal all of my fissures and I was feeling great other than aggravation from the fistula which remained.

As of last week, I had a seton placed to keep the fistula draining but since then I have had a lot of pain again, maybe worse then ever before, with several fissures. I feel like the seton has some type of wire/cord poking out in multiple places that is scraping my sphincter, is this normal? Currently I can barely walk from the pain and yet I read some people having setons and being back to playing sports in just a week.

Really confused, I thought this would be a non-invasive surgery with a quick recovery. I have an appointment in a week with my CRS, but worried I'll get worse. At this point I'm even considering a (possibly temp) colostomy (was offered it once before) in the hopes I could just heal the fistula completely as the surgeon told me I may need to keep this horrid seton in forever. Also, if I did have a colostomy, could they remove the seton in the same surgery?

Thanks so much for any advice!

For anyone curious or is having a similar experience I thought I'd post an update below,

Went to see my doctor and they said they could just remove the seton right there in the office, which I had no idea it would be that easy to remove. My pain levels got better after it was removed, but didn't go away completely.

It turns out I had a thrombosed hemorrhoid right below it and the seton was squeezing and poking it. How lucky am I? The funny thing is I haven't strained in a long time. Oh well, I might try a seton again after a few months when I feel like the area has completely calmed down, if it doesn't and I keep having my other issues (repeated fissures) then I may look at a colostomy.

Anyway, for anyone with an abnormally painful seton, just know you can have it removed instantly at the doc's office.

I personally think that pain is kind of subjective. Some pain is normal. A lot of pain is never good. I personally have had many different situations where I would have pain flare-ups and honestly it has been really tough to fight off the symptoms sometimes. I personally have tried many different pain-management protocols and some of them do work and some of them don't. The standard ones are okay but they usually make me feel really tired and groggy. I talked with my general practitioner and he suggested I try kratom. I thought that it was kind of an interesting idea and since I have tried practically everything else on the market I decided to give it a go. I did some research and settled on white kratom. I have been really happy with the results. It does help me fight the pain as well as the anxiety that feel when I go in public. I think that in some cases it is useful. I think that if you want to try something new and nothing else really helps you should give it a go. If you have too much pain you should talk to your doctors. I feel like it might be the best advice in this situation

Last edited: