• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Dreading a colonoscopy

So tomorrow is the big day! I'm in the middle of prep now. One positive thing to say is that pico is waaaaaayyyyyy better than klean prep!!! I'm about to take my second dose, and I'm not at all dreading it.

I know I'm still a crohn's newbie in many ways. This is only my second colonoscopy, but for some reason I'm really anxious about it. It's been almost 3 years since my first one. I was married for only 7 months, and 5 weeks pregnant at the time. This time I have an 8 month old and a 2 year old to take care of. I was hoping to get someone to take the kids tonight, but it didn't work. My mom isn't stable right now, my MIL would, but has to work at the family business in the morning. My husband is coming home from work at noon to pick us up. We'll drop the kids off at my sisters, and be at the hospital in time for my 1:15 a ppt. I'll probably stay at my in- laws afterwards while my husband goes back to work. Mostly I'm not looking forward to getting the kids ready in the morning, and having my husband at my appt. I love him to bits and pieces, but he stresses big time when me or the kids are receiving any sort of medical treatment (we've had some bad experiences).

So basically this is just me getting it all out and asking for prayers! If anyone has read my blog...I am going to start my diet from scratch again on Wednesday. I need to beat this thing for my family! Please pray that my results show improvements!

Thanks so much!

In all things by prayer and supplication let your requests be made known unto God.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
You'll be fine. Try not to stress about what other people may or may not do. Just focus on you when you're in there. I look at scopes as nap time really and I'm sure you could use the much needed rest. Good luck with the results! :)

Lol crabby :)

It's too bad they don't put ya out here unless you have to be! I watched (and felt) my entire last one!

Don't be anxious! The second one is worse I think because you gave experienced it before and you remember the bad parts more than the good. I'll be thinking about you tonorrow and praying for some positive results!!! Good luck and stay positive!!!

Hi! This is my first ever post. I am having a colonoscopy tomorrow (Wednesday) morning and I am really terrified.I cannot eat after 9am today and start drinking the prep stuff later today. I have had one other colonoscopy 5 years ago and to be honest I cannot really remember much about it but since then have had surgery and managed to get sceptascemia afterwards and ended up in ICU and was very very poorly and this has left be with a real phobia of hospitals. My IBD nurse will be there with me and my Consultant is doing the colonoscopy and has promised to take good care of me, but I am still terrified.
By the way I was diagnosed with Crohns 9 years ago,
Annie

Hi! This is my first ever post. I am having a colonoscopy tomorrow (Wednesday) morning and I am really terrified.I cannot eat after 9am today and start drinking the prep stuff later today. I have had one other colonoscopy 5 years ago and to be honest I cannot really remember much about it but since then have had surgery and managed to get sceptascemia afterwards and ended up in ICU and was very very poorly and this has left be with a real phobia of hospitals. My IBD nurse will be there with me and my Consultant is doing the colonoscopy and has promised to take good care of me, but I am still terrified.
By the way I was diagnosed with Crohns 9 years ago,
Annie
The worse part is the prep. The colonoscopy it self is not that bad. I would tell them that you are a little nervous and make sure they give you some good sleepy meds. :) You won't feel a thing, if you do feel anything make sure you say something! You will be ok I promise, I've had 5 of them!

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I agree the prep is the worst part.....although the Miralax is waaaayyyy better than the go-lytely!

I would absolutely mention you are anxious/nervous about the procedure, docs have some GREAT meds for that....I used to be semi-awake for my scopes (old doc) - they were not always the best because I was usually in a pretty moderate/severe flare.....my 'new' doc (~only about 8 years now!)/hospital uses the propophol and it is nighty-night time!.....

I've lost track of how many scopes I've had, basically now I look at them as nap time too! As with my remicade treatments..lol...

ditto the prep and like juicy said if you are feeling it, then you need to tell them so they can give you more sleepy meds. I have had several of them. Please don't stress, as that could just aggravate your symptoms more.

Thoughts and prayers are with you today during the prep and tomorrow.

Please keep us posted as to how you are doing

Thanks everyone!

T-3 hours till showtime. My daughter woke up early this morning, so between that and bathroom runs last night...I'm a little tired. I'm not too hungry, but cramping pretty bad. It seemed like every time I tried to lay down to sleep last night was the exact moment the urge came. I slept on the couch so hubby want disturbed too much. Now I have to pack up my kids gear, and wait for DH to pick me up.

The worst part of last night is that I started researching other symptoms i'vebeen having and a lot are associated with lupus. Sometimes the www is dangerous for me!

Hang in there Kirsten and keep us posted. You will be in my thoughts and prayers today. Hope that you can get some answers.

Big Hug