• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Drink only modulen cause diarrhea?

Hello. I have crohn for 6 months but I dont have much pain anymore at my instestines. My real problem is a anal fissure that I have for 4 months now, it is 3 fissure and it looks very bad.

I have 1 bm in every 2 days, but my fissure can't heal because every bm it hurts and bleed again.

Yesterday I have a bm and it hurts so much because of the fissure that I decide to just drink modulen in the hope I dont have to go to the bathroom again for some days...

My hope is if I drink only modulen I will not have a bm, or have only 1 in 4 days or mores.

Any bm I have cause a lot of pain but diarrhea is much worse so I can't have diarrhea too.

A person drinking only modulen go to the bathroom how many times?
If I drink only modulen I will have diarrhea?

Thanks!

When my daughter did only modulen & TPN she had watery stool. Her best days hovered around 8x a day, but her issue has always been diarrhea. When she was on EEN they were only liquid stool.

If you added Questran to your treatment with the Modulen it may help to thicken things up some. It helped my kid for a bit.

Thanks for the answer and sorry for you daughter hope she is better now.

Now is my 4th day with modulen and answering my own question - yah only modulen give me liquid stool, but only 1 time a day and very little stool

The good news is it hurts a lot less than formed bm and the fissure don't bleed.

My fissure already looks very good, hope it keep going this way so I heal this fissure fast. I'll post later to say if i'm healed.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello there

Although I don't have experience with liquid only, I did get watery stool when I was nill by mouth and only on IVs.

This happens because you aren't taking in anything solid for the body to produce a solid stool. The products in the modulen that are not water (colourants, bulking agents etc) do get turned into stool and not urine but they are not really solid enough to produce a fully solid stool.

The frequency is a very individual thing, you may only have one a day or you may have 10 , no one can really tell you what will happen.

I hopes this answers your question a little.

Spooky1

I agree, liquid in liquid out. I have liquid feed and it doesn't stop the diarrhoea unfortunately. I'm still on and off the bog day and nights. I used questran but these days they stuff aspartyme in it. So I get that no more. Good luck with having less painful bm's.

In my case is not liquid in liquid out. I am on my 16th day drinking only modulen. I have a little of watery stool almost every day and every 3 or 4 days I have a solid stool.

My fissure now is a lot better. I think it is 90% healed. And my pain with watery stool is 0! It didn't burn for the first time in 4 months :smile:. For solid stool I still get some pain, but just 1/10...

In addition to modulen (16 days) I'm doing hyperbaric chamber (27 sessions) and using a ointment called fibrase (in Brazil).

I'm in the right track so I'll post later to say I'm 100% healed :ylol2:.

Spooky1

Gusth, what wonderful news you have with modulen. Fissures are a pain in the butt, no pun intended. I often say sitting on the loo is sometimes the best place to sit. The pressure is off the bum, but I also have a donut shaped cushion too. I'm so pleased that your pain is much less than before, that's the best news. What exactly does the hyperbaric chamber do, if you don't mind me asking?

Hi Spooky1, I'm not a expert in HBOT. What I know is that when you are in the hbot they increase the atmospheric pressure and you breathe 100% of oxygen. This supposedly helps the blood to reach the wounds and heal it faster. At my clinic many people have wounds on legs and diabetes, so it don't heal. The same is for anal fissure, its difficult to heal because the blood does not reach it.

If you want to know more about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbaric_medicine

Spooky1

That's great info. I wonder how much they cost privately? I like that idea. perhaps it will work I breath deeply. I shall try.
so pleased things are improving for you.

Lady Organic

Staff member
In my case is not liquid in liquid out. I am on my 16th day drinking only modulen. I have a little of watery stool almost every day and every 3 or 4 days I have a solid stool.

My fissure now is a lot better. I think it is 90% healed. And my pain with watery stool is 0! It didn't burn for the first time in 4 months :smile:. For solid stool I still get some pain, but just 1/10...

In addition to modulen (16 days) I'm doing hyperbaric chamber (27 sessions) and using a ointment called fibrase (in Brazil).

I'm in the right track so I'll post later to say I'm 100% healed :ylol2:.
Hi Gusth, is your fissure healed? How was the hyperbaric chamber? Do you feel it helped your crohns altogether? Ive been contemplating to try this treatment for a while now...

Hello guys, sorry for the long time without updating here.
At my last post I was in my 16 day of only modulen. I went to 21 days with only modulen and my fissure was healed at 99%.

It's already past 3 months and I have to say that I'm 100% healed. My intestines didn't hurt at all since the 2° day of modulen, my fissure healed 99% after 21 days of modulen and is now 100% healed (thank god). I'm going 1x/day to the bathroom and it's everything normal.

So "Drink only modulen cause diarrhea"? For me is +-, sometimes is pure liquid and sometimes is solid (but very soft and easy for the fissure), I shit my pants sometimes too, but it's very worth it.

So I'm very happy, my crohn is fully in remission. If I feel the crohn is about to coming back in the future the first thing I'll do is go into a only modulen diet for at least 20 days.

The modulen for me is the best thing ever! But I must say I discovered my crohn very soon (8 months ago).

Of course I've take a lot of other medicines that may helped me but maybe don't was so fast like modulen in my recovery:

LDN (Still using)
VIT D3 (Still using)
Modulen (Best thing ever - Still drinking 1 or 2 cups a day)
HBOT (Stopped already but was great for the fissure and probably for the crohn too)

Since I came back to eating normally, I've been very careful. For now I'm only eating potato soap with beef or chicken, a lot of bread. None of the processed foods I ate make me ill. The only thing that I ate and gave me a lot of gases so I stopped eating was eggs.

I hope you guys can try the modulen and hope it works for you too.

Hi there, I let my son try Modulen (as a sample) and he got heartburn after drinking Modulen. Have you guys had that problem?

I wonder if I should switch to a different brand or continue trying Modulen and see if the heartburn returns?

my little penguin

Staff member
Heartburn is common with formula only
Lots of liquids moving around
Not brand specific
I thought your kiddo was doing pediasure peptide or Kate farms peptide
Formula only can have side effects
Reflux
Sibo
Liquid in liquid out (diarrhea)
Tooth decay
bad breath
Nausea

Heartburn is common with formula only
Lots of liquids moving around
Not brand specific
I thought your kiddo was doing pediasure peptide or Kate farms peptide
Formula only can have side effects
Reflux
Sibo
Liquid in liquid out (diarrhea)
Tooth decay
bad breath
Nausea
What to do then when kids get heartburn from the drinks?

my little penguin

Staff member
Formula
Powdered or premixed
Doesn’t matter
Lots of liquid - no solid food - sloshes in the belly
And reflux
Your Gi needs to order the formula
They also help with the side effects
Including medicine for reflux
So talk to your child Gi who ordered the een formula about side effects

crohnsinct

I didn’t think Stanford uses modulen. Also the GI’s usually prescribe something for the heartburn when you start EEN. I forget what my girls were given but they didn’t need it with boost and ensure.

I didn’t think Stanford uses modulen. Also the GI’s usually prescribe something for the heartburn when you start EEN. I forget what my girls were given but they didn’t need it with boost and ensure.
I got a Modulen sample (not from Stanford) so I decided to try it.
Our pediatrician recommended Pediasure. I'll let him try that. Hate to see him being this uncomfortable. :(

my little penguin

Staff member
Your Gi needs to determine the course for een
What formula , how much , how long
It’s medical food and should be treated as any other mieducal treatment plan
Under the guidance of your Gi
Not a pediatrician
You are dealing with crohns

your child is lactose intolerant so please speak to your Gi about symptoms
He may not tolerate
Modulen
Pediasure peptide
Or peptamen jr

Your Gi needs to determine the course for een
What formula , how much , how long
It’s medical food and should be treated as any other mieducal treatment plan
Under the guidance of your Gi
Not a pediatrician
You are dealing with crohns
Sorry I made a mistake. Pediasure was recommended by our dietitian.

my little penguin

Staff member
Then call your Gi and tell them about the symptoms
How much your child drank, how long , how much solid food etc…
They need to be on board and help you decide steps forward

crohnsinct

My girls used the 1.5 Boost and Ensure but they were older. That made O’s symptoms worse so we went to regular Boost and Ensure and still no improvement so then we went to peptamen and that worked for her. T did regular boost and Ensure.

Did the dietician give you their preferred brand? Do you know what brand the supply Company your insurance uses carries?

My girls used the 1.5 Boost and Ensure but they were older. That made O’s symptoms worse so we went to regular Boost and Ensure and still no improvement so then we went to peptamen and that worked for her. T did regular boost and Ensure.

Did the dietician give you their preferred brand? Do you know what brand the supply Company your insurance uses carries?
She said to look into Pediasure and let her know my choice. I am thinking of ordering other brands to try as well. Peptamen Jr, correct?

Are these drinks (ensure, boost, Pediasure, peotamen) all proven for calming inflammation and inducing remission, supposedly?

crohnsinct

My girls never used pediasure and by the time O used peptamen she was on the adult version but I know Stanford has the junior because that’s what they gave her to try.

Yes they are all proven to induce remission and mucosal healing.

Did he not like pediasure? If that’s what the dietician prefers and he didn’t mind it, I would just go with that. The worst thing would be to go with a formula other than what they recommend, get to the end of the 8 weeks, have no improvement and then have them blame the formula and have to repeat it but with the one they suggest.

BTW - how were his most recent inflammation markers?

My girls never used pediasure and by the time O used peptamen she was on the adult version but I know Stanford has the junior because that’s what they gave her to try.

Yes they are all proven to induce remission and mucosal healing.

Did he not like pediasure? If that’s what the dietician prefers and he didn’t mind it, I would just go with that. The worst thing would be to go with a formula other than what they recommend, get to the end of the 8 weeks, have no improvement and then have them blame the formula and have to repeat it but with the one they suggest.

BTW - how were his most recent inflammation markers?
He doesn't love Pediasure but can manage to drink it slowly. He got heartburn from trying Modulen (I happened to get a sample) so Modulen is probably off of my list. I was doing the sugar calculation... He could be drinking 90 grand of sugar each day! Is that ok???? Do kids get diabetes this way??? It's horrifying that much of sugar is consumed daily for 6 - 8 weeks.

He still has inflammation. Iron is on the border low end but ferritin is way too high so the doc said that's an indication of inflammation.

I am really hoping een can help him but I am also terrified at the thought of making him drink this sweet unhealthy drink for that long.

crohnsinct

The sugar is fine. It is only 6-8 weeks. It us proven to work despite the sugar and carrageenan and everything else in it. I haven’t heard of any of the kids on here getting diabetes from it. My daughter did get diabetes from chronic prednisone use though.

If he can only drink it slowly it might not work for him. The kids have to drink like 8-10 shakes a day to get enough calories to gain weight and combat the inflammation. That’s a shake every 2-3 hours. If you can’t get the number of shakes in he will lose weight and that isn’t good for inflammation.

What was his CRP and fecal calprotectin?

Remind me is he on Humira every two weeks or has he increased to every week?