• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Drink with fleet?

Got a colonoscopy coming up in the next couple of weeks and I'm SO dreading drinking the fleet. I've tried it with Sprite and 7up, and Gatorade. Is there ANYTHING anyone would recommend that will help it go down easier? What are some things y'all have tried?

They have pills you can take instead of the ten gallons of the other stuff.

You still have to drink quite a bit of water, but it is easier. That is what I used.

D Bergy

B

bk1579

My doctor told me to mix it with ginger ale...I personally think it was still really disgusting...

I just hold my breath to keep most of flavor at bay until I get the whole glass down. Then I make a half dozen horrid faces and prepare myself for the next dose. I don't think anything that you're allowed to mix it with can ever make something that tastes like sea water taste better.

B

bk1579

DanSJV, I definately agree with you on that...I was trying to figure out what it tasted like...I just compared it with salt water mixed with sugar...But I think sea water is the best discription!!! And I think I made the worst faces ever while drinking it...I had to drink mine first thing in the morning when I got up...What a yummy breakfast...

H

HDGirl

Tastes yummy

Ok, maybe it's just me but when I was younger I had a few alcoholic drinks. The truth is, I don't drink currently, but even when I was young, I didn't always like the taste... but I drank it. Not sure why, really. Maybe because of pier pressure, maybe because I wanted to feel drunk (my digestive system is so fast, I have never had a hang over, so my class mates were always jealous - hey look at that a plus for having Crohn's.... no hangover!).... my moral to my story is.... I just drink it and bear it... kinda like doing double shots.... you can never hide the taste.

Magnesium Citrate is a small bottle that can be taken as a cleaner as well. Many doctors don't recommend it any more because if you don't have constant diahrrea it may not totally clean you out.

Once your bowel movement becomes clear, you can stop drinking.... at least that's what I've been told for 23 years. Dang girl... that's longer than you are old! Now I feel REAL old!

I'd say.... Cheers to Tina! Bottoms UP! I'd drink with you if I were there... Actually I may be drinking with you but in a different state... I go on the 22nd of Aug! I promise to make a toast to each one of you every time I do a shot!

HDGirl said:
Ok, maybe it's just me but when I was younger I had a few alcoholic drinks. The truth is, I don't drink currently, but even when I was young, I didn't always like the taste... but I drank it. Not sure why, really. Maybe because of pier pressure, maybe because I wanted to feel drunk (my digestive system is so fast, I have never had a hang over, so my class mates were always jealous - hey look at that a plus for having Crohn's.... no hangover!).... my moral to my story is.... I just drink it and bear it... kinda like doing double shots.... you can never hide the taste.

Magnesium Citrate is a small bottle that can be taken as a cleaner as well. Many doctors don't recommend it any more because if you don't have constant diahrrea it may not totally clean you out.

Once your bowel movement becomes clear, you can stop drinking.... at least that's what I've been told for 23 years. Dang girl... that's longer than you are old! Now I feel REAL old!

I'd say.... Cheers to Tina! Bottoms UP! I'd drink with you if I were there... Actually I may be drinking with you but in a different state... I go on the 22nd of Aug! I promise to make a toast to each one of you every time I do a shot!
I'll be going in on the 22nd as well!

Kev

Let me add to the confusion. In my neck of the woods, there is a product still called a "Fleet" enema. But it is an enema... For colonoscopy, I used a product called "Go Lytely" (sp?)... It comes as a powder in an otherwise empty 4 litre (roughly equiv to a little more than a US gallon).. plastic container. You add water to it to the line on the bottle, refrigerate it overnite.. and you get a sweet, (actually bitter sweet) fluid with a sort of lemon flavour... It contains a bowel prep and a mixture of electrolytes.
Plus a sweetener (or this could be a by product of the mixture) and that 'flavour'. I've been told that this is the least offensive liquid you can take for proper bowel prep.. I was also told by an experienced nurse at one of the GI clinics that I could take 1/2 one day, and the remaining the next day until everything ran clear, then stop... IF I didn't mind/could stand.. a two day fast. I did it once, and everything at the scope was copacetic, so I guess it works OK .. It was easier to spread it out over 2 days... well, at least the drinking part.. The constant trips to the toilet wasn't so much fun, but back then I was going more than 20 times a day anyway.

I've heard of other methods.. never tried them.. was a good little soldier and took the stuff they told me to take. If my GI orders another scope, I'll ask about what if any alternative methods they permit... because the prep is the worst part of the whole scope procedure... and you get to a point where drinking that stuff is pure torture.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
I have to agree with Kev.
I just took the Half-Lytley (maybe different than go lytley)stuff a month ago. It is a bit better tasting than the fleet. Less salty, but still kinda gross.
The problem with taking pills only to clean you out, is that it doesn't work as well as the liquids do. The Lytley kit starts with pills and water, and that kicks your bowels into motion. The next day you drink the watery mix. It "conveniently" comes with 3 flavor choices. I picked cherry.

It may depend on the person who is doing the colonoscopy as to what you can take. It wouldn't hurt to ask though.

When I took the fleet stuff, I mixed it with white cranberry/peach juice. I can't even look at the stuff now.

One last tip, though it may not help. I had to go for a barium upper GI last month. I couldn't swallow that chalky sludge very well, so I made the tech play a "drinking game" with me. Just like the good old college days, but a different drink.

Good luck. :)

O

old hat

I just (figuratively) grit my teeth and drink it down as fast as possible. They make a variety with lemon-lime flavoring already in it and believe me it doesn't help. If anything, it is more disgusting than usual.

Last edited:
Just reading these posts makes me GAG and I haven't had to drink any of that stuff in a year.....it was absolutely miserable. I do not think I could do it again. They'll just have to give it to me in an IV hahaha.

It's actually a piece of cake drinking the phospho-soda....all you have to do is pour only 1/3 of it at a time into a full glass of clear cold pop and drink it, doing this 3X in total will get the whole bottle down and you won't notice the oily consistancy of it or the taste.

:)

Kev

Hmmmm, never took phospho soda.. is it carbonated? Full of bubbles and very gassy
As for mixing it with another carbonated beverage, personally they give me gas, and that gives me intense pain... and I'm not sure of the potential risks of pouring gassy beverages into a weakened and possibly close to perforated digestive tract. Every preparation sheet my local hospitals have provided prior to colonoscopy exams allow for the drinking of ginger ale... on the condition that it be flat... stale, no bubbles, etc.
I always assumed that the inclusion of it was based on the premise that ginger is a good thing for IBD, but the exclusion of the bubbles/carbonation was because it isn't good for you.. Now, you know what they say about 'assume'. having had no experience with phospho-soda, others here who have tried it without incident may cause me to rethink my assumptions.. this is a 'learning' environment after all. As for swallowing 'sea' water... Always heard/read that doing so leads to delusions and eventual death.. the 'more' you drink, the faster that it happens. so, those of us who were experienced drinking the various scope preps would be the 1st to go

unless of course the folks in the life rafts, surrounded by a group of us 'crohnies' with no toilets, commited mass suicide first... leaving us 'crohnies' a lot of fresh, red meat that we couldn't eat... Hmmm, that sounds just like our kind of 'luck'

D

dct

Colonoscopy Prep

I just take the pills called Visocol. Also there is a new drug out as well, but I don't know the name. It works the same, and you don't have to drink any of that nasty stuff.